• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Library, Google or something in between?

europeanlibrary

What is the first thing you do when you are looking for a particular book, or information about an author:

Or in other words ...

now the world has Google, have libraries become unnecessary?

I use google, amazon, and my state's library catalog website..the combination of the three give me plenty of information so I can choose whether to purchase a book or 'preview' by using the library. Naturally, there's no way I can purchase every book I might want or need, but these resources help me be a better steward of my resources.

I usually check Amazon.com or do online searches about the author. I'll use the library's system only if I want to request one or more of his/her books.

I use google, amazon, and my state's library catalog website..the combination of the three give me plenty of information so I can choose whether to purchase a book or 'preview' by using the library. Naturally, there's no way I can purchase every book I might want or need, but these resources help me be a better steward of my resources.
I employ this combination of methods too in my searches for potential reading material.

I use Google and Amazon most of the time :)

+1

I usually hear about new authors (or ones I should check out) from other message boards I belong to.

Or in other words ...

now the world has Google, have libraries become unnecessary?

Absolutely not. Google has breadth. Libraries have depth. Google is great for cursory information but for in-depth information, libraries are the way to go. Why? Copyright issues. Public domain aside, you're not likely to find the text of books and journals online for free.

I generally use Amazon to get reviews. If I can't find any reviews on Amazon (rarely), then I use Google.

I definitely use Google, I also have found out about other authors and books via forums like this. Word of mouth is a very good source.

Strangely enough I have recently rediscovered the local library. I was searching through Amazon to see which books I would like to read when I suddenly thought "oh, the library is around the corner!". I have found myself reading books that I would never have read had I not come across them in the libraray.

For me its google, word of mouth and amazon plus a few other little sites... I haven't been to the libraray in years.

Wikipedia. I use online for quick info, but for in depth info, I use books and yes, the library. But I often look things up about Dumas or French lit, and for that I have two very trusty sites.

Back