• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Libricide: Book Burning and the Spread of Dangerous Ideas

This is a topic that's been on my mind a while... and I've been wondering how to address or talk about this issue. I'll start with a quote:

Where they start by burning books, they will end in burning people.

Historically, book burning has been done by a group to demonstrate their stance against certain ideas or values (that are represented). Often, book burnings will have religious or political motivation.
Book burnings are incredibly strong, symbolic acts of burning down ideas/values, burning the books that spread said ideas, and burning the people who believe in said ideas.

I am not limiting this discussion to just book burnings, but the destruction of any text, art, or artefact. I feel there are few things that are more violent than this loss of knowledge, history, and culture.

The example that got me to make this thread was the DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans of Canada) budget cuts; the government of Canada closing 7 of 11 DFO libraries late last year, which resulted in the loss of fish, ocean, and freshwater research from as far back as the 19th century. While they do say they are digitizing many of the material, it is unclear what exactly is being lost... One wonders what would happen if we fail to digitize these libraries...
This isn't explicit destruction, but it is library leveling on a grand scale. What bothers me more is that the government does so in a very round about way, lying about the reasons behind the DFO cuts, while removing environmental policies off of federal decision making. I can't help but equate this to the burning of Fisheries and Oceans research, and by extension, environmental research. It's very clear what the government thinks about our environment.

This example aside, what do you think about book burning? Both in history and in modern times.
Is there any context where you would find it acceptable? What do we lose by destroying books?

Last edited:
Um I think you lost a link or some text there Dmitri.

I can't help but equate this to ???? missing text ???? This example aside, what do you think about book burning? Both in history and in modern times.

There is no context in which I find it acceptable. I do think that there is nothing wrong with balanced and reasonable censorship, not in terms of outright banning but in terms of saying some stuff is not suitable for kids. No book should be banned or burned, but I also think that not every book should be available to just any one of any age.

I know that seems contradictory, but I think that society has a responsibility to its vulnerable members and there is some material which just flat out is not suitable for kids no matter which way you want to slice it.

I think the notion that books are dangerous occurs to people who don't want people to question their ideas. From Hitler to burning teenage mutant ninja turtle paraphanalia - the basic problem is fear of introducing free thought.

Back