• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a book or author

roguegambit

I read this book about 10-15 years ago and I can't remember the author or title to save my life. I've been searching for this for about 2 months now and keep coming up with dead ends. I so hope someone is able to help me :D

Here's what I can remember of the plot. Thanks in advance for any/all help if any.

guy goes to Ireland and meets Cassie on the streets during the potato famine. Cassie's cousin is supposed to go to America to live with her uncle and Cassie goes instead. Cassie ends up working at a factory and the guy she met a few years before sees her and takes her out of her uncle's care. He places her as a nanny with a friend of his. She works as a nanny and then the oldest child, Rory (I think) comes home. They have an affair, she ends up pregnant, lady of the house tosses her out, son doesn't know she's pregnant, man of the house leaves mom for his mistress. Cassie marries the gardener or handyman so her baby will be legit. There's a fire in the area where she lives and hubby runs back to save the baby and they both die of smoke inhalation. Same guy shows up at the fire as he is either a reporter or owns half the newspaper. Cassie lives with him, and I can't remember his name to save my life. They get married to avoid scandal. Guy has a servant from the West Indies who likes to garden as a hobby. They become close, guy has Cassie outfitted so she looks like a lady. At the end, she finds a ticket with her name for a trip to Ireland. She thinks that she's being sent back but come to find out she's not. There was a misprint on his ticket and he had to take it back to have it fixed.

Back