• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for Books from Asia 1894-1945

Gilgamesh

There are many novels and non-fictions regards the times of Holocaust in Europe, but, I have not found a book from the East where China, Korea, Philipines, and other Asian countries being overtaken by the Imperial Japanese. Or have they not been translated into English yet? Any suggestions? Non-fictions are also welcome. Title of the thread is misleading. Even written by contemporary authors about the era of 1894-1945. I would really like to see what a person from the 1st source have written.

The Raj Quartet by Paul Scott was written after World War II, but is set in India during the war. Scott was there himself, so many of the incidents were things that he observed. These books were the basis for The Jewell in the Crown television series.

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II by Iris Chang, for some grim horror.

How about some of Pearl Buck's many books? She won the Pulitzer Prize for The Good Earth in 1932. It's about village life in China.

By the way, I really enjoyed the mini-series The Jewel In The Crown. I know it has been re-released on DVD now. If you can find the first DVD at your local library, you might want to watch it to see if you like it.

Hey, I am getting really great responses. Thank you. I hope to find more.

How about some of Pearl Buck's many books? She won the Pulitzer Prize for The Good Earth in 1932. It's about village life in China.

Yes, I recently re-read The Good Earth. It does show how opium flowed freely to the rich. In looking back, possibly due to the Opium Wars (Found out how Hong Kong came under British control by reading about the Opium Wars.) And I knew Ms Buck had written the book as a trilogy. I wonder if other two books include any tidbits of Sino-Japanese War.

Back