• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for Female Protagonist sci-fi/fantasy

Makias

Hello, seeing how this is my first post I assume an introduction is in order. My name is Mack and I like to read! I mainly read Sci-Fi and children's literature, but have dabbled in fantasy as well. Currently I am at a loss for a good book with a female protagonist! Here is a list of what I have tried so far, but haven't quite found what I am looking for:

Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. I found there to be not enough action and too much sex. I picked this book up because some where I read a comparison to the Dune novels. I love the Dune series, but this not so much. Sex was a theme in Dune, but it was always discussed and never really written about in scenes (at least the ones I have read).

Crossfire by Matt Farrer. I am usually a big fan of the WH40K universe, but this felt too slow for my liking. More like a crime novel then a Sci-Fi.

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Step in the right direction, but I don't like first person.

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. Currently I am reading this, I love the story. It is immensely creative and entertaining. The problem is that Lyra doesn't feel like a girl. I am a guy, and I want a perspective from a character that isn't of my gender. To me she just feels like a boy wrapped in girls skin.

I am looking for something with action. A girl who kicks ass with a twinge of eeriness. Something darker than your normal fantasy or sci-fi with small tasteful amounts of romance. And a perspective that actually feels like a woman. Oh and no first person.

I am looking for something with action. A girl who kicks ass with a twinge of eeriness. Something darker than your normal fantasy or sci-fi with small tasteful amounts of romance. And a perspective that actually feels like a woman. Oh and no first person.

Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks albeit the main character is more a woman than a girl.

By the way in the Golden Compass (or the Northern Lights, UK edition) Lyra is at the beginning of her development, you may find that by the time you've got to the end of the trilogy you may already have what you're looking for.

Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks albeit the main character is more a woman than a girl.

By the way in the Golden Compass (or the Northern Lights, UK edition) Lyra is at the beginning of her development, you may find that by the time you've got to the end of the trilogy you may already have what you're looking for.

Female is female, be it girl or woman. Since I am looking for something dark I would imagine women would be present more than girls. And I never really thought about her growing up much. I'm defiantly going to finish reading the trilogy just because Children's Lit is my second favorite genre.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will give them some serious thought while I wrap up The Golden Compass.

The Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce is a good series with a strong female protagonist. High fantasy setting, so expect medieval-style combat with swords. Basically, the story is about a young girl who wants to be a knight so she disguises herself as a boy to enroll in the all-male academy for future knights.

Been a long time since I last read anything from the series so I don't remember details.

Oh by the way, the series is for Young Adults.

Also, some books in the Terry Pratchett's Discworld series are worth checking out. There are 4 books (iirc) about a young witch named Tiffany Aching.

Back