• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for the title of a historical novel

Icy

I read this back in the 1980s, but I think it's a much older book. I read it in Icelandic, but it was a translation, possibly from English, but French and even German are also possible.

I think it may have been based on or inspired by a real murder case.

In the beginning chapter, a wealthy (and possibly aristocratic) man dies at a tea or dinner party, poisoned with arsenic. His young wife has been using the same poison as a beauty product and some is found in her room, but as not enough has been taken from the package to kill anyone, she is acquitted of his murder, possibly because the jury is unable to reach a verdict. I think this part of the story takes place in England, but it could be France or even the USA.

The widow changes her name and moves abroad and some years pass. She is working as a nanny or governess for a widower who falls in love with her, but does not know her true identity. His belief that she was guilty of murdering her husband stands in the way of them marrying (she has not told him the truth at that point), but the true murderer recognises her near the end of the book and confesses to having murdered the husband so he could have her for himself. The book ends with her and her former employer married or about to be married.

If you recognise this description (or think you do), please post the possible title and author.

Back