• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Louis L'Amour : The Walking Drum

753C

The Walking Drum - Louis L'Amour :star4:

The story of a youth in 12th century Brittany, Matthurin Kerbouchard, whose home on the coast of Armorica is destroyed by a vicious local baron. Kerbouchard escapes into the galley of a slave ship in a desperate attempt to find his father, so together, they can return to avenge the death of his mother and the destruction of their home.

So begins Kerbouchard's journey across the ancient world. His father is a famed warrior, and corsair, and young Kerbouchard exhibits all the traits of his father. He is wise beyond his years and already an experienced seaman, swordsman, and one who possesses a rare thirst for the knowledge of other great civilizations. His journey is fraught with danger and blessed with enlightenment as he fights and studies his way across the greatest cities of the known world. He seeks knowledge wherever he can find it and as his adventures persist he adds the titles of philosopher, physician, scholar, merchant, alchemist, and courtier to his growing legend.

From a slave galley in Brittany to the feared fortress of Alumet in the valley of the Assassins in Persia, Kerbouchard never loses hope of finding his Father.

L'Amour does in this story what only the very best storytellers are capable of. He presents a great character and a fast moving story, set in a fascinating and beautifully drawn time and place. What amazes me the most is the sheer volume of historical information that saturates this story, adding to the sense of adventure, rather than bogging down the story. I cant remember the last time I read something that sent me to my computer to look up facts and places and dates so often. Here is cultural information, geography, military history, religious history, philosophy, medicine, proverbial wisdom, and on and on.

Very highly recommended to any fans of historical fiction set in the middle ages.

To be honest I didn't either. But wow! It was great. He did a really nice job of presenting the way Western Europe was viewed by the more advanced civilizations of the east, and the disparities in education that existed. In the author's notes he mentioned how he thought it was a shame that we are generally not informed about the history of 2/3 of the world.
I knew he led an adventurous life. His Facebook page is pretty cool too.

Nice! So that's how you get something moved along your TBR list.... :)
Let me know how you like it. I thought it was a great adventure story, and I feel like I learned a whole lot.

lol my TBR list is merely the books I want to read, the one I actually read is the one that grabs my interest most. Simple really.

Last edited:
Well I'm 60 or so pages in and its OK so far. Despite the action it reads a little dryly but it isn't too bad.

Yeah... he doesn't really break any new ground from a literary standpoint. He just tells the story. Also Kerbouchard seems to always speak in proverbs. Lol. That might get a little annoying to some, but they were good proverbs, so I was okay with it.

I actually expected more from him as I have always enjoyed his westerns. Ok those were more than a little clichéd but that's part of the enjoyment of them.

Back