• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Love this forum, even if I don't find the book for my Mum.

evax

kickbox
The point is, I'm looking for a specific book, that my mother read in her teens/ twenties. Some fourty years ago, and it was a Polish translation of what she remembers to be the English detective story for and about youths.
Her description is pretty vague, some kids found out that the murderer was a guy in a wheelchair (mom's not sure,) and was living at a hill (mom's not certain,) and the action took place in the misty London (mom look above;).)
I would really appreciate your serious suggestions about the book and author, and repay in my (doubtful) knowledge of Polish crime stories.

Hello Evax, I moved your post to BARs nifty Book Search forum. I don't know the title but you might find something useful on this link.

Thank You both, Readsalot and Occlith, for Your warm welcome. Still, my English must be pretty creepy, if not crappy, since You think I meant a Polish book.
I hadn't, my mum's nearly certain an author was British. Could anyone explore on that, please? ;)

Dear Janet H, definitely no ;). We both ( me and Mum) know Agatha's books almost by heart (I mean Polish translations,) it's not this case. Not Hitchcock, not Malpass, not even Doyle, I think. Who's dunnit and under 'whattuitle', I still wonder.
Thank You for Yor interest, maybe some friends in Their British sixties? ;)

I know You may find it impolite, but I know not how to add sth to/edit above, so let me do it this way.
I may have found, what Mum had been looking for, by tracking Polish editor of those times. However, I'm not sure, so could anybody give me some description of a plot of E.W. Hildick's 'Calling Questers Four'? If anyone's read it:)

Posts can't be edited after 15 minutes.

I did a quick search for that book and couldn't find a summary. Przepraszam.

Nie ma za co, on the contrary, I apologise for my negligence in reading the forum rules.
Still, it is problematic I can purchase this book (by Hildick or Starling) in both English and Polish, but there is no description available.It must be either mein kampf or a real bore :).
I guess I shall risk some money anyway, hoping it will not occur to be a blind guess.

The time limit is not written down anywhere. It is arcane knowledge passed from moderator to moderator. ;)

I would actually be interested in a Polish copy of Mein Kampf.

Anyhoo, I hope you found the book you are looking for and whether or not it's the correct book, you should stick around.

Thank You for Your last words above, and about 'his fight'- me too.
Still I consider some books more worth translation and lecture than that one, although I do not approve any censorship by a state or country on the "grown up" level.

ai5.photobucket.com_albums_y187_sparkchaser1998_smileys_devillook.gif

I actually did read Mein Kampf and for me it was my own fight to get through that book. It was so long and rambling but I wanted to read it so I could see if I could see what the Germans saw in it.

I see it as an interesting historical document. Was it ever published in Polish? I could see a wartime edition having collectible value.

[/I]n Poland, it has not been published until 1992, it has been then reprinted again in 1992, 1998. The Government of Bavaria tried to stop, and stopped, the publication of the book in year 2005, stating that the book is protected by copyright. Possession is legal. Trading is legal, but may be considered illegal in case when "intent is to promote NS ideology". It is widely available in larger libraries for research purposes.] by wikipedia.
I am sorry,I do not own it, I have not read it. What the Germans saw in the book has nothing to do with the one itself. No book makes you breivik, hitler, evax or Sparkchaser. It is rather a matter for sociologists or psychologists of mass behaviour.
Not to mention hunger, which is at least for me, only excusable reason for a war.

Aside from historical curiosity, I can't think of any pressing reason to read it. There are far better books out there to read.

And I am neither a sociologist or psychologist of mass behavior. ;)

Yeah, right, now add that You do not eat children alive as communistic propaganda never said, and maybe somebody will believe You ;D.

Back