• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Magnus Mills: The Restraint of Beasts

Wintergreen

I remember all the fuss about this book when it first came out, but somehow never got round to reading it until now. I loved the otherwordly atmosphere and the way Mills turned the mundane existence of the fencers into something sinister. It was all building up very nicely until the end, which was a real disappointment. As the final pages approached I began to wonder how the story was all going to tie together in such a short space of time, and the answer was it didn't. It just stopped, with a half-hearted twist. Did anyone else feel the same way about the ending?

No, I loved every moment of this - one of those rare books that made me laugh out loud - and of all his subsequent work. He has such a unique way of writing, and such a surreal view. He's a bit like J.L. Carr in that he is recognised as a writer to be reckoned with, but somehow he doesn't catch the general interest.

Back