• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Major Publisher's eBooks sale model evolves...

meredithgreene

"Covered, indeed over abundantly, is the debate on the viability and growing popularity of eBooks. Stepping onto the creaking boards of the bandwagon, many large publishers now offer digital literature, whether through retailers or directly via their own websites… and it appears to be paying off.

On December 26, 2009, Amazon.com announced that, for the first time ever, they sold more digital books on Christmas Day than the paper kind; the company projects even greater eBook sales for 2010.

Many publishers appear to think it’s worthwhile to update their eBook titles and formats on a regular basis, but now the delivery method, release dates, as well as the sales “food chain,” are also undergoing their own micro-revolution.

John Sargent, CEO of Macmillan Press (MP), posted a blog on the MP website on March 2, 2010, stating that they will move from the former “retail model” of selling eBooks to what he terms an “agency model.” Sargent goes on to explain how this benefits the consumer: no longer will eBook retailers be able to buy MP eBooks and then set their own price to re-sell them to consumers..."

Read the rest of my article here.

I must admit these industry changes provoke a subtle quiver of optimism to reverberate through my tiny home office. Thoughts?

On December 26, 2009, Amazon.com announced that, for the first time ever, they sold more digital books on Christmas Day than the paper kind; the company projects even greater eBook sales for 2010.

Ah, but according to this article, free ebooks make up the majority of ebook bestsellers.

Ah, but according to this article, free ebooks make up the majority of ebook bestsellers.

Interesting article; I am curious how the term 'bestseller' includes books that are free?

Here are a few statistical sites for actual revenue earned in the US (wholesale & retail)

Wholesale eBook Sales Statistics
The CITE: August 2009 e-book sales statistics
Publishing eBooks: eBook Case Study And Experience Selling eBooks

(This last site indicated that the majority of sales numbers are being driven by free excerpts of the books, not entirely free books... this makes sense, as one cannot legitimately 'sell' something that is 'free'.)

Speaking of legitimacy, the eBook industry continues to be walloped by the whiffle-bat of piracy:

Digital piracy hits the e-book industry - CNN.com

Back