• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: The Blind Assassin

mehastings

February 2006 Book of the Month

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Amazon.com
The Blind Assassin is a tale of two sisters, one of whom dies under ambiguous circumstances in the opening pages. The survivor, Iris Chase Griffen, initially seems a little cold-blooded about this death in the family. But as Margaret Atwood's most ambitious work unfolds--a tricky process, in fact, with several nested narratives and even an entire novel-within-a-novel--we're reminded of just how complicated the familial game of hide-and-seek can be.

I'm surprised nobody's posted yet. Has anyone finished? Your thoughts?

The Blind Assassin is my favourite book by Atwood, so far. It has everything that makes a book work for me - a many-layered story with a believable and honest portrayal of the main protaganist coupled by wonderful writing.

I first read this in late 2001, so have been re-reading to refresh my memory. It's just as good, if not better the second time around. On my first reading, I was somewhat impatient with the sci-fi/fantasy story told by the lovers and skimmed parts of it in order to get back to the "main" story. This time, I'm seeing more of the parallels with Alex and his lover.

There's really so much going on in this book that it's hard to know where to start. So I guess I'll start with my impressions of Iris.

I've mentioned this before about Atwood - she knows how to write women. She gets inside their heads and strips away the veneer of politeness. In Assassin, Atwood doesn't sugar coat Iris or try to make her into some "cute" senior reminiscing about her life. She's shown for who she was and what she became and it's not all that attractive. It was fascinating to see the young Laura and Iris change from the sheltered, naive children of Pt Ticonderoga to the jaded and cynical adults of Richard and Winifred Griffen's high society.

I've read some reviews that say Iris is an unlikable character and that she deserved what she got. But, I think she was as much a victim of the times as she was a victim of her own action or inaction. Women of her day and station in life were constrained by a lot of what we now think irrelevant (think of the poor Duke of Windsor and Wallace Simpson). In the end, I think Iris was quite aware and willing to take responsibility for what happened in her life.

More thoughts?

Ell said:
I'm surprised nobody's posted yet. Has anyone finished? Your thoughts?

I read this a few years back, and have forgotten most of the details, so I'm planning to re-read it shortly. Then I'll be able to post something that makes sense. :D

I have this ready to read, but haven't started it yet. I'm re-reading Handmaid's Tale first because though Atwood is a fantastic writer, I think it's very hard to get into her style, and sometimes it takes me a few chapters to start understanding what is happening.

I really can't wait to read it though, and I like how her books almost demand a re-read!

I'm about two-thirds of the way through. It's one of those books where I'm enjoying it so much I can feel myself gulping it down as quickly as I can, but I also know that when I'm finished I'm going to feel bereaved. I'm fascinated with all the different stories going on at the same time and am very curious about some loose ends that are not tied up yet.

I'm so pleased that it was suggested as this month's book or I might never have picked it up. What a marvelous read!

angerball said:
I read this a few years back, and have forgotten most of the details, so I'm planning to re-read it shortly. Then I'll be able to post something that makes sense. :D

I read it a couple of years ago too. I'm going to participate and risk not making sense. If I make a mistake, I'm sure someone will let me know.;)

I actually perferred the sci/fi story. I thought it was more honest.

One thing I remember is that the narrator spent way too much time talking about clothing. Then, near the end, the narrator admits that she's spent way too much time talking about clothing.

ell said:
In the end, I think Iris was quite aware and willing to take responsibility for what happened in her life.

I'd say she was aware of her mistakes, but didn't fix them: should have edited the clothing descriptions, but didn't; shouldn't have married the rich, old guy, but did.

I'm also re-reading this - it has been a good five years or more for me since I read it - and I have to admit it is like reading it for the first time because I forgot so much! It makes me think that I should re-read really good books more often than I do.

I agree that the structure and interweaving of stories is very interesting - and will post more when I get a bit further along.

Doug Johnson said:
One thing I remember is that the narrator spent way too much time talking about clothing. Then, near the end, the narrator admits that she's spent way too much time talking about clothing.
Interesting you should mention the clothing. I think it's one of the things that make it more authentic to me. Women of her generation and social status were constantly judged by their clothing. Someone like Winifred would size another woman up in about two seconds based on shoes, hair and clothing. They either passed muster or they didn't. Shallow - of course. A reality - yes.

Even the descriptions of Alex's lover were pertinent. He questions why she couldn't dress down to fit in with their sleazy surroundings. She couldn't, without drawing attention to herself when she left the house. It also served to show the disparity between their worlds.

I'd say she was aware of her mistakes, but didn't fix them: should have edited the clothing descriptions, but didn't; shouldn't have married the rich, old guy, but did.
But this awareness only came in hindsight - something true for most of us. She married the rich, old guy because, at the time, she didn't see a way out. She did it to save her father and to provide a future for Laura. Remember, she was a sheltered and naive twenty year-old with few other options. How could she have known things would turn out so badly. Isn't it one of the refrains we hear from the older Iris, time and again - that she wished she had known, should have known, but didn't?

Oh, if only we could live our lives backwards - we'd all be happy and never make mistakes. ;)

Ell said:
Interesting you should mention the clothing. I think it's one of the things that make it more authentic to me. Women of her generation and social status were constantly judged by their clothing. Someone like Winifred would size another woman up in about two seconds based on shoes, hair and clothing. They either passed muster or they didn't. Shallow - of course. A reality - yes.

Even the descriptions of Alex's lover were pertinent. He questions why she couldn't dress down to fit in with their sleazy surroundings. She couldn't, without drawing attention to herself when she left the house. It also served to show the disparity between their worlds.
I've rather enjoyed the clothing descriptions. It's a little like watching a period film - the costumes are part of what make it interesting. It's probably a thing that appeals to women more than men, though!

Don't you think that people are still judged by what they wear today? I think people are pigeonholed into class distinctions by their manner of dress - whether people realize they're doing it or not.

I see the character as allowing herself to be "bought off," by money and pretty clothes. Which is probably why a lot of people find her unsympathetic. (When she does do something admirable, she doesn't even take credit for it.) As soon as I figure out how the heck to use the spoiler, I'll give you an example.

Doug Johnson said:
I see the character as allowing herself to be "bought off," by money and pretty clothes. Which is probably why a lot of people find her unsympathetic. (When she does do something admirable, she doesn't even take credit for it.) As soon as I figure out how the heck to use the spoiler, I'll give you an example.
I didn't see her so much as being "bought off" by money and pretty clothes as much as I saw her being a victim - expected to "save" the family by marrying well. Her father gave her a choice but she could have hardly have said no considering the financial condition they were all in.

I thought the clothing descriptions were essential to the visual aspects of the novel, and that what they wore certainly said a lot about the wearers. I don't remember Laura's clothing. Does anybody remember how Laura dressed?

And what about love in this story? Did anybody find any of the characters to be loving or lovable? One has to assume that love was the underlying motivation everywhere, but (to me) it wasn't readily apparent anywhere.

Who loved whom in this story, and did anybody ever say so?

PaulaQ said:
she could have hardly have said no considering the financial condition

The women here seem to be very soft on a woman who marries for money. Did she really have no choice? Did she really do it for her family, or did she do it because she loved the clothes? (Considering what happened to her sister, I think you'd have a pretty hard time arguing that her decision to get married worked out best for the family.)

PaulaQ said:
Don't you think that people are still judged by what they wear today? I think people are pigeonholed into class distinctions by their manner of dress - whether people realize they're doing it or not.

I agree. I know I know I do this sometimes, and I've had it done to me.

This book has been on my TBR list for some time. But I'm not sure it's my thing having read about all the clothing descriptions. Is it really that bad?

CDA said:
But I'm not sure it's my thing having read about all the clothing descriptions. Is it really that bad?

It bugged me at that time, but I now realize that it is symbolic. (You read. You talk here. You learn.) Don't let me steer you away from the book. It moves at a pretty good pace.

Doug Johnson said:
It bugged me at that time, but I now realize that it is symbolic. (You read. You talk here. You learn.) Don't let me steer you away from the book. It moves at a pretty good pace.

Hmm. I may still give it a bash, then. I've actually gone so far as to take it out of the library, but I got side-tracked: you know how it is. It's a big looking book, you see, so I was just wondering about the amount of clothing talk.

Doug Johnson said:
The women here seem to be very soft on a woman who marries for money. Did she really have no choice? Did she really do it for her family, or did she do it because she loved the clothes? (Considering what happened to her sister, I think you'd have a pretty hard time arguing that her decision to get married worked out best for the family.)
I don't think that Atwood ever gives the impression that Iris did it for the money - I always had the impression that Iris did it out of a sense of duty. Remember that throughout history women were expected to marry well or marry whom the family chose out of respect for the family. It's only been recently that women truly had free choice. I also don't think that Iris was ever shown to be enjoying the luxuries that the money afforded her. That's why I see her more as a victim than as a golddigger.

Doug Johnson said:
I don't think that she had a choice, and how was she supposed to know how things would turn out? Basically, yes, she did marry for money, but it was her motives for that marriage that our attention should be drawn to. She did it for her family, IMHO, as she continually mentions how she didn't fit into the lifestyle, and how it didn't appeal to her overly much.

Back