• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: The Robber Bride

dollymixture

I am currently midway through this novel of Atwood's and so far I think it may be the best I have read of her. I'm blown away by the character of Zenia and the effect she has on the other characters both male and female.

Has anybody else read this? I'm interested to know what other readers thought of the different characters - some of my friends find Tony irritating whereas I found her to be kooky and original, I'm really enjoying the references to her interest in war and what goes on between Zenia, West and herself.

I'm only just onto the section called 'Weasel Nights' which I believe is Charis' side of the story but I am finding I cannot put this book down - was/is anybody else hooked?

In case anybody is interested in reading, here is the blurb on the back of my 2007 Virago edition "Zenia is beautiful, smart and greedy; by turns manipulative and vulnerable, needy and ruthless; a man's dream and a woman's nightmare. She is also dead. Just to make absolutely sure Tony, Roz and Charis are there for the funeral. But five years on, as the three women share a sisterly lunch, the impossible happens: 'with waves of ill will flowing out of her like cosmic radiation', Zenia is back."

I read this book a few weeks ago and I really liked it, too. I have to say, I do agree with your friends that Tony was a little irritating, but I'd have to put Charis in that category, as well. I love Margaret Atwood but I feel as though she fell into the trap of stereotyping her characters and working too hard to put each one in a mold, though I loved the Zenia character. I'm sure every woman can relate to Tony/ Charis/ Roz's intimidation, fear, and admiration of Zenia on some level. I found her fascinating! I wouldn't say it's Atwood's best novel, but I was riveted while I was reading it, and just wanted to know how it all tied together.

I am currently reading this book and am really loving it. I can't wait to see what happens to Zenia in the end. I'm loving hating her. Right now, Roz is unfolding her story. The character of Tony is a little annoying, in how she is so determined to be with West, despite knowing that they both settled. that's frustrating. Same with Roz. Whenever I imagine what Tony looks like, I think of that character in the annimation film The Incredibles...Edna Mode. Charis' story was a bit intense for me; i found myself reading quickly over parts. She's painted to be quite pathetic...in fact, to some degree they each are.

The only other Attwood book I've read is The Handmaid's Tale, which I absolutely loved.

Back