• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Mitchell: Gone With The Wind

I can't believe there isn't a thread about this book anywhere here! This is one of my favorite novels(it's funny that two of my fave nobels happen to be over 1000 pages long). I recently rewatched the movie and now want to reread the book. I'll also be reading the sequel, Scarlett, which I've heard is bad. But I can't leave the story dangling with a question mark!

So, if you've read it what did you think, and have you read the sequel? fave/least fave characters? I loved scarlett and rhett, obviously, because rhett is so unlike any character you would find. He's not the type to read love poetry, etc..more the hiding his feelings by laughing at the world type, and i love that about him! And scarlett, well yes, she was a bit self centered, but I like her outgoing..ness.

If you wish to discuss "bad", the film adaptation of Scarlett is horrible. I remember liking the book when I read it several years ago, however.

I collect GWTW items.

Re-reading the novel is one of the items on my to-do list. I want to see how much more I can get out of reading it now as opposed to when I was eleven years old. I recently purchased a biography about Margaret Mitchell. This should be interesting to read.

collecting GWTW items? What kinds of items?

I just read the book last year, when I was 14, but I definately want to reread it, even now, because I've changed so much since that time, mostly thanks to my English teacher. He's the ony good english teacher I've had and taught me to really understand and appreciate literature in a different way.

Maybe I'll reread it a third time in about 20 years. But I tend to just randomly open books I like and read parts of them, but not the whole thing. I don't know if that counts as rereading.

It's a difficult novel to get into, HermioneWeasley. It was required reading in one of my lit courses. Most agreed it was a good read, but took far too long to get interesting. (about 465 pages if memory serves) I enjoyed it, but I enjoy most anything concerning the Civil War.

It's a difficult novel to get into, HermioneWeasley. It was required reading in one of my lit courses. Most agreed it was a good read, but took far too long to get interesting. (about 465 pages if memory serves) I enjoyed it, but I enjoy most anything concerning the Civil War.

I'm 100 pages in and am finding it difficult to continue. If I have more than 300 more pages to read before it gets good, I think it might be time to bail.

well, it depends on what kind of book you like. I liked this but I tend to go for 'lighter' classics, and gone with the wind is pretty much a romance. It does get good when it gets to the romantic parts, though.

I read GWTW many moons ago when I was in junior high (age 13 or 14). It still ranks as one of my all-time favourites.

It's memorable to me for a number of 'firsts': It was the first sweeping 'epic' novel I'd ever read and I gobbled it up in a matter of days (reading into the wee hours under the sheets); it was the first book I'd read with complex, deeply flawed adult characters who also had redeeming qualities (I was fascinated by the array of strong characters. I loved hating Scarlett); and it was the first book that engaged me emotionally enough to make me cry. Strangely, the romance aspect is not what I remember the most.

I'm not sure if it would have the same impact if I read it for the first time today. I keep meaning to re-read it just to see if it's lost any of its allure, but alas, other books keep getting in the way.

I read GWTW many moons ago when I was in junior high (age 13 or 14). It still ranks as one of my all-time favourites.

It's memorable to me for a number of 'firsts': It was the first sweeping 'epic' novel I'd ever read and I gobbled it up in a matter of days (reading into the wee hours under the sheets); it was the first book I'd read with complex, deeply flawed adult characters who also had redeeming qualities (I was fascinated by the array of strong characters. I loved hating Scarlett); and it was the first book that engaged me emotionally enough to make me cry. Strangely, the romance aspect is not what I remember the most.

I'm not sure if it would have the same impact if I read it for the first time today. I keep meaning to re-read it just to see if it's lost any of its allure, but alas, other books keep getting in the way.

Oh, Ell, you always speak to my heart. I spent a month of one summer, when I was maybe 11 or 12, carrying the book to the beach ( I had it from the library), reading it, carrying it back to the house, reading it some more. It was my companion for a month, I think. Some older girls I knew had read it, and we used to talk about Ashley and Rhett, etc. I loved that experience (which I thought was loving the book), but I know that now I would not love the book the same way. But I think it has more quality and substance than it's given credit for.

If I could only choose one book as a favorite, it would have to be GWTW. Scarlett and Rhett just came alive for me. I remember curling up in bed for six or seven hours on a Saturday night just transfixed. I don't normally like film adaptions but the Orson Welles version of GWTW is almost as good as reading the book, imo, despite the fact that some key points were left out.

Since then, I've read all that I can get my hands on pertaining to GWTW. Scarlett was actually enjoyable to me, although I've had friends and family that disliked it, especially all the attention given to Ireland. Personally, it felt a little unrealistic, but having a solid ending made me content.

I also read Rhett Butler's People, by Donald McCaig. I could not get into it as much as Scarlett. I appreciate all the work McCaig did--he definitely did a lot of research, but to me it was missing that spark that was present in GWTW.

Some other books that would probably be enjoyable to fans of GWTW are

Margaret Mitchell and John Marsh: The True Love Story Behind Gone with the Wind, by Marianne Walker

It's a biography on Mitchell and although pretty long and a bit tedious, it gave much insight into GWTW and Mitchell's life in general. It also spoke of the issues that came along with publishing GWTW as well as Mitchell's untimely death. I enjoyed it.

Another book that I love is The Authentic South of Gone with the Wind: The Illustrated Guide to the Grandeur of a Lost Era, by Bruce Wexler.

It includes historical details of the time as well as delving into details that came with writing the novel as well as making the screenplay. Lots of fun pictures.

I just finished reading GWTW last week. Of the books I have read, I have never really found myself hating and respecting a character as I did Scarlett O'Hara. Her selfishness, unscrupulous conduct and the way she would "think about it tomorrow" made me hate her. However, I came to respect her when a deeper understanding of how a person reacts when their back is to the wall and their only options are to go against their morals or perish.

I also loved the character of Rhett with his sardonic humor and his ability to put Scarlett in her place. He called a spade a spade and I loved that part of his character.

The weakness of Ashley and quiet strength of Melanie were also large reasons for my enjoyment of this book. I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to just shake Ashley and tell him to "put on his big girl panties and get on with life" throughout my journey through this novel. I truly embraced the character of Melanie for her soft-spoken demeanor as well as her support of the people that she loved. The closest I've ever come to crying while reading a book was during her "Take care of Ashley" speech. By far, she was my favorite character in the book.

I've always been compelled to read this book because it is a classic. I just feel intimidated by the sheer length of it. I like reading romantic stories, but I don't feel particularily interested in Civil War time novels.

I've always been compelled to read this book because it is a classic. I just feel intimidated by the sheer length of it. I like reading romantic stories, but I don't feel particularily interested in Civil War time novels.

Despite the length, it's an easy read. I get intimidated by longer books at times too but by the end of GWTW, I was depressed that it was over.

In response to an earlier post, I don't think Orson Welles did a GWTW movie. He did Jane Eyre, a version which turned out to be about Heathcliff (played by Orson) and not Jane.

I just read a very interresting and depressing anecdote in Dark star safari by Paul Theroux about Gone with the wind.
An ethiopian political prisonner spent 8 years of his life in jail with Gone with the wind as the sole book for the 300 residents,(book where forbiden)Every night they would read an hours to each groups,then he decide to do a transation into the local linguo.Paper being also no alowed,he wrote it on the papers of cigarette boxes,hide it,and when a prisonner was freed,he would carry a full pack of these papers out.Once he was liberated,it toke him 3 years to gather all his transcriptions.
Even the idea of those Africans in political prison dreaming of Scarlett every night is an amazing.
By the way the Dark star safari is a great book,maybe Theroux is not the best autor of his generation but he is a wonderfull story teller.

I read GWTW once about twelve years ago. It's time to read it again - maybe in a few months. I live about 185 miles from Atlanta so maybe I'll go check out MM's old stomping grounds. Is her house open to the public or is there an MM museum or sorts? Guess I should read the Marianne Walker bio as well.

And I liked Scarlett, but then I already loved Alexandra Ripley's other novels set in Charleston.

Loved GWTW and Scarlett, read both years ago - have just picked up Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig - it is pretty good so far, I would recommend it, apparently it is pretty controversial but I haven't seen anything odd in it yet...

Loved GWTW and Scarlett, read both years ago - have just picked up Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig - it is pretty good so far, I would recommend it, apparently it is pretty controversial but I haven't seen anything odd in it yet...

McCaig's book was ok--nothing great imo. I liked GWTW and Scarlett much better.

Madame Bovary?

Having just finished our Book of the Month, Madame Bovary, I am pleased to compare Emma Bovary and Scarlett O'Hara. Both are young, beautiful, romantic. Both pursue their dreams resolutely and do not count the cost to others. Both were good at denial. Emma just borrowed more money, while Scarlett decided to "think about it tomorrow."

But! Scarlett had good financial sense and could stop short of self destruction. Well, usually. She did show some ability to learn from her experiences, something Emma did not do.

Having just finished our Book of the Month, Madame Bovary, I am pleased to compare Emma Bovary and Scarlett O'Hara. Both are young, beautiful, romantic. Both pursue their dreams resolutely and do not count the cost to others. Both were good at denial. Emma just borrowed more money, while Scarlett decided to "think about it tomorrow."

But! Scarlett had good financial sense and could stop short of self destruction. Well, usually. She did show some ability to learn from her experiences, something Emma did not do.

Interesting comparison, and speaking from someone who hasn't read Madame Bovary for years - I would have to reread, but from what I remember - wasn't she pretty weak? I would think that Scarlett kicks her butt on the strength of character scale .. but then again, I probably need to reread it :D

Back