• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margo Lanagan

Tony119

Just wanted to put in a word for Margo Lanagan. She combines fantasy, sci fi, and horror, with occasional social commentary, in YA short stories.

One of my favourites: 'Under Hell, Over Heaven' (in her Red Spikes collection): a group of teens are stuck in purgatory, couriers between paradise - longing fulfilled - and hell, pain unendurable yet to be endured, world without end. Those pious grandmothers were right all along about the afterlife: only their prayers can help you now.

In 'The Night Lily' (White Time) a boy laconically describes people trying to hold onto their decency and dignity as their city is slowly pounded to barbarity by relentless bombings and raids; the street names suggest it is, or was, a first-world city. The story includes gentle enigmatic elements too, and Lanagan described it as her favourite story in White Time, "because it still remains slightly mysterious to me".

I have not enjoyed all her work, but it includes masterpieces, served up with bitterness, cynicism, and cold fury.

Back