• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marguerite Duras: The Lover

Sabenankh

I just finished reading "The Lover" by Marguerite Duras and i must say that although i liked the book iI was a bit disappointed by the fact that i realised that the movie had been better, which is usually not the case, the movie rarely exceeds the book but this time the movie succeded where the book failed. But, hmmm when J.J. Annaud is concerned it's in a way, no wonder. In any case it's a good book, a good story, and well told.

I liked it but I read it in the original French which seemed to add more than the English translation. I had only seen a bit of the movie and it seemed a little cheezy.

I love both the book and the film. For a more in depth version of the relationship, check out her other book on it, The North China Lover, I found it to be much better in detailing the relationship. Jane March looks incredibly young in the film.

:)

I read parts of it in French some years ago. I wasn't overly impressed, but back then I brushed it off as being due to my somewhat rusty French skills. Sounds like it may not just have been that. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really compare there.

Thanks a lot lenny... i'll get the book you mentioned. I'm really curious. As for Jane March, yes she does look very young and beautyful in the movie, not to mention hot, but so does Tony Leung... he looks great in this movie... I don't know if you've seen a movie called "In the mood for love", he's in that one too but i almost didn't recognize him... it's not that he looks bad... just different. By the way that movie..."In the mood for love"... i strongly recommend it, it's great and all asian literature lovers will like it i think.
Jemima... if you didn't like the book that much... try the movie and tell me what you think.
Corrie, i don't know, i didn't find it very cheezy but maybe that's just me.

but so does Tony Leung... he looks great in this movie... I don't know if you've seen a movie called "In the mood for love", he's in that one too but i almost didn't recognize him...
I used to think the same thing, but I found out there are 2 Tony Leung's. One is named Tony Leung Ka Fai and one is named Tony Leung Chiu Wai. The first one was in The Lover and the second was in In the Mood for Love. And yes, Jane March was incredibly hot in the movie! Too bad she hasn't made that many movies since then.:(

lenny nero said:
I used to think the same thing, but I found out there are 2 Tony Leung's. One is named Tony Leung Ka Fai and one is named Tony Leung Chiu Wai. The first one was in The Lover and the second was in In the Mood for Love. And yes, Jane March was incredibly hot in the movie! Too bad she hasn't made that many movies since then.:(
Haha guess who feels like a complete idiot now:eek:
Well thanks a lot for telling me... it really was a big difference between the two actors but i thought to myself "you are just imagining things... it's the age".
Now i feel sorry that both actors in the film didn't keep on making movies. if you know any movies worth seeing the guy from "The lover" was in please feel free to make me feel like an idiot again and tell me about it:)
Are you into asian movies... ah... and speaking of "In the mood for love" did you see 2046?

I've never seen the guy from The Lover in any other movie.:( I know he's made other films in Hong Kong, but I've never seen them. I haven't got to see 2046 yet either.:(

lenny nero said:
I've never seen the guy from The Lover in any other movie.:( I know he's made other films in Hong Kong, but I've never seen them. I haven't got to see 2046 yet either.:(
Thanks a lot for telling me... i'll look him up on the net and see how i can get my paws on some of his movies:)
And you should see 2046... it's great!!! I look forward to hearing what you thought of it after you've watched it.

I've just finished the book and I have to admit I was desapointed. It was vague and ended up not telling the whole story. Perhaps the movie would complement the book but I haven't seen it yet.

The point of The Lover, at least as the book is concerned, I haven't seen the movie, is more about the narrative style than the story itself. The prose is disjointed and jarring, clipped in short sentences as it is, and it's one of the first examples of an unreliable narrator in fiction. Much of what the narrator tells the reader can't be taken at complete face value, and that's the thing that makes it interesting, I think.

Back