• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marguerite Yourcenar

Sabenankh

Do you know this author?

On January 22, 1981, Marguerite Yourcenar took her place in literary history when she became first female "immortal" admitted to the French Academy since its founding in 1635. She was an ideal choice--and a much more suitable candidate than the more sensual Colette or the more political Simone de Beauvoir--because her career embodied exactly the kind of classical humanism the conservative Academy liked to honor.

Her writings are marked by measured, aphoristic sentences; by quietly reflective characters; by restrained lyricism; by thorough research and highly literate allusions to history and culture; and by attempts to adapt classical literature to contemporary concerns.
I have read "Coup de Grace", which has turned into one of my favourite books, "Alexis"(The french title is so good "Alexie ou le traite du vain combat"). "Oriental stories" and "Like water that flows".
In my oppinion she is a great witer and her books well worth reading.
I'd like to know what you think, looking forward to your replies!

Back