• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

May Readings

blurricus

I didn't see one for May, so here goes.

Finished The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugidenes (sp)
Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters and Seymour: an Introduction by J.D. Salinger
Victory by Joseph Conrad
Contemplation in a World of Action by Thomas Merton
Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

That's it for now. We'll see if I get through any others.

I think the idea is to do it at the end of the month so members can post a complete list of the books they have read for that month.

Maybe you're confused and the list you have posted is your 'to be read' list.

blurricus said:

Raise High the Roofbeams, Carpenters and Seymour: an Introduction by J.D. Salinger
Victory by Joseph Conrad

you read all that in 4 days? wow

venusunfolding said:you read all that in 4 days? wow

In 4 days, I've only gotten halfway through Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrelle:rolleyes:

Only four days!! It's taken me ten days to get that far! It's the steroids, ABC, huh? Don't lie, now ... :D

blurricus said:

Victory by Joseph Conrad

How was Victory? I thought Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim were two great books, beautifully written especially Lord Jim. I'm thinking of reading another Conrad novel; is Victory in the same style as the two I mentioned?

FINALLY made it through Crime & Punishment. I have a smaller work that I'm reading, but I won't be able to pick it up for another couple of days. I have senior presentations to grade, as well as a final exam for a college course that I'm teaching. Maybe sunday will be better for me.

Figured I'd just bump this instead of starting a new thread!

I read:

The Other Boelyn Girl (reread) - really interesting, though wildly fictionalized look at the story of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII's courst.

The Queen's Fool - this was actually slightly more interesting, because it gave me a look into the Spanish Inquisition. This was the second Phillippa Gregory novel I'd read, and I really enjoyed it. 8/10

Angels and Demons (reread) - read this the day that I went to see The DaVinci Code, not a startling work of literature, but still a fun read!!! 9/10

How To Be Alone by Jonathan Franzen - I thought this an interesting book though not what it claimed to be which was "how to be alone in a mass urban culture" or some such thing. Really enjoyed the look into the way Franzen felt about the whole Oprah kafuffle 7/10

A Might Heart - Mariane Pearl - this was written by Daniel Pearl's wife, telling the story of the days leading up to and months following Daniel's brutal murder. Mariane is a wonderful writer and did a rather impressive job of not turning this novel into a eulogy, which would have been fine, but it was more impressive with the history of the region and such included. Did find is a little confusing with ALL the names to remember, but I beautifully written memoir by an incredibly strong woman, nonetheless. 10/10

The Spanish Bride by Laurien Gardner - story of Catherine of Aragon, Henry VIII's first wife. didn't really get into it, but it was a quick read (300 pages). Gardner has written some other books about the Tudor's but I'm not going to seek any of them out. 6/10

The Secret Book of Grazia dei Rossi by Jacqueline Park - I'm about half way through this and absolutely in LOVE with it. I've started a thread about it in the fiction forum. 10/10

what did everyone else read?

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Read those within a week, but haven't gotten much else done this month.

Wild Swans by Jung Chang
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
That Was Then, This is Now by S.E Hinton

Not many this month because I had exams - I'm hoping to read a few more next month.

This month I got through:

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
Go Ask Alice - Anon
Empress Orchis - Anchee Min
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Noffenegger
Murder in the Dark - Margaret Atwood

And 13 volumes of manga. :p The Blind Assassin I started at the end of last month though.. Most of my reading I did yesterday since my exams are over. School doesn't start again till next Monday for me so I'm going to try and read more til then. :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
Wild Swans by Jung Chang
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
That Was Then, This is Now by S.E Hinton

Not many this month because I had exams - I'm hoping to read a few more next month.

What did you think of Wild Swans, MC? I really want to read this eventually.

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell-Susanna Clark

Transgressions-Susan Dunant

Menopause for Dummies- Marcia Jones

Dreams of Trespass: Tales of a Harem Childhood-Fatima Mernissi

Memory in Death-JD Robb

The Step Diet-James O. Hill

Relics-Mary Anna Evans

Cry, the Beloved Cpuntry-Alan Paton

In the Year of the Butterflies-Julia Alvarez

Lolita- Vladimir Nabakov

Back