• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Medical Books?

IJohansenAddict

Hey everyone.

I love reading medical books (non-fiction not medical thrillers!). I really enjoyed White Coat BY: Ellen Rothman M.D. & Hot Lights Cold Steel BY: Michael Collins M.D.

I'm currently reading "The woman who swallowed a toothbrush". Does anyone have any medical books they have read and enjoyed. Does not neccessarily have to be memoirs!

Thanks guys!!

Amanda

Hey there. I haven't read any medical books, but those titles you mentioned sound interesting. Who wrote "The Woman who Swallowed a Toothbrush"? I'd like to read it sometime. :)

The Woman Who Swallowed a Toothbrush and Other Bizarre Medical Cases by : Rob Myers MD.

Great book. You can finish it in a day because of the big fon & short chapters. I love it!! Very amusing even if you have no liking of the medical profession whatsoever! lol

Amanda

Ah, well I'm hoping to get into the medical field so I'll probably find it very interesting. I've been meaning to expand my book horizons, so this will be perfect.

Ooo, I'll definately be having a look for one or two of those as they do sound quite interesting. :)

I can't recall reading any, but you may be interested in a book mentioned in a past Book of the Month voting round called Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.

I've already taken a look at Stiff but it didn't sound like my type of book.

I recently just started reading Bitten which is about of insects & medical cases with them. I also picked up Internal Bleeding: The Truth Behind America's Terrifying Epidemic of Medical Mistakes Try those also!!

Also try White Coat. Written by a woman about her residency!! Great book! Takes you into the emotional side of medical fields! Just ask if I can help anymore

Amanda

Hey everyone.

I love reading medical books (non-fiction not medical thrillers!). I really enjoyed White Coat BY: Ellen Rothman M.D. & Hot Lights Cold Steel BY: Michael Collins M.D.

I'm currently reading "The woman who swallowed a toothbrush". Does anyone have any medical books they have read and enjoyed. Does not neccessarily have to be memoirs!

Thanks guys!!

Amanda

Don't you find that when you read a medical book, you start feeling a bit poorly and then you.......................

I love all things medical, whether it be medical thrillers, medical dramas/movies and love watching documentaries on television. Never actually tried reading a non-fiction medical book though but it's probably right up my street. I work in the medical field - admin side of it - and have access to some medical books so will take a look at work and see what I can find.

Thanks for the idea!

I work in the medical field - admin side of it - and have access to some medical books so will take a look at work and see what I can find.

Thanks for the idea!

You will find some diseases you did not even know you had??!!!!

I love all things medical, whether it be medical thrillers, medical dramas/movies and love watching documentaries on television.
Thanks for the idea!

What ever you do, do NOT watch Brain Doctor!!
I watched it and had a brain tumour!

Thankfully I threw it off, ha ha ha ha.

To reply to more than one post click +Quote on each one OR click reply, write your reply below the quoted post, go back up click reply on the next one, write your reply below the second quoted post until you are done, then hit post reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope to work in healthcare in the future, so I am very interested in books about Medicine.

Have you read any of Oliver Sacks books? Not only does he write about strange diseases and syndromes, he also describes the people behind them and how their daily lives are affected. There are some poignant moments in his books, when you realise you're not just reading about a long word disease you can't pronounce, but someones life.

What sort of medical books are you interested in?
I'm quite interested in the history of medicine, so another book I would recommend is the Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu. It's a well known book among medical applicants here in the UK, as it describes a lot of the medical and scientific innovations and how they have impacted the care we deliver today.

There are also some great books from the point of view of the healthcare staff. Matt Pemberton is a UK-based psychiatric and writes rather eloquently about his first job as a junior doctor, and then as a psychiatrist working with the homeless. Like Oliver Sacks, he is very good at describing people's lives and not just their conditions, plus he has a great sense of humour.

If you have ever seen the TV series House MD or are just interested in rare medical cases, "Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the Art of Diagnosis" by Lisa Sanders is an interesting book to read. I've only started reading it myself, but have heard some good things about it.

I also sometimes read books about healthcare systems, mainly in the UK but have started branching out a bit. It's interesting to see how resources are spent and decisions are made. Particularly when it's peoples lives on the line.
I have a long list of medical books to recommend, but I think that's enough for now! :p

Don't you find that when you read a medical book, you start feeling a bit poorly and then you.......................

We receive lectures about various medical conditions, and a lot of the time I stare at the screen thinking "I must be suffering from that!"

Last edited:
I havnt read it but I know a book called 'Hospital Babylon' by Imogen Edwards-Jones , I have read some of her work and her Babylon series is amazing , she interviews real people from the medical field and write a book about it and states them as anonymous. It is all non-fiction from different accounts all put into one book.

You'd think being a nurse by day and a reader/writer/publicist by night that I'd have no interest in medical books. haha But, I gave a peek to some of the titles here and ended up enjoying them! Especially the medical thriller suggestions. I'm not into nonfiction very much but I LOVE thrillers so ty for giving me some fresh new reading that I actually connected with.

Back