• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mercury Music Award 2005

Stewart

I would just like to say that, after last year's travesty in awarding Franz Ferdinand, the judges of the Mercury Music Award have got it correct this year in voting Antony & The Johnsons as the winner. For once, a true artist received (and deservingly so) the award.

I saw the band back on July 1st and it was an excellent gig. A mixture of grand piano, guitar, cello, violin, accordion, and Antony's voice, which is an instrument in itself. Looking forward to the next gig in November.

And, thankfully, absolute crap like Kaizer Chiefs and Coldplay didn't win. Result!

Stewart said:
I would just like to say that, after last year's travesty in awarding Franz Ferdinand, the judges of the Mercury Music Award have got it correct this year in voting Antony & The Johnsons as the winner. For once, a true artist received (and deservingly so) the award.

I saw the band back on July 1st and it was an excellent gig. A mixture of grand piano, guitar, cello, violin, accordion, and Antony's voice, which is an instrument in itself. Looking forward to the next gig in November.

And, thankfully, absolute crap like Kaizer Chiefs and Coldplay didn't win. Result!
You really dont like coldplay do you stewart?

Stewart said:
...the judges of the Mercury Music Award have got it correct this year in voting Antony & The Johnsons as the winner...
I agree, a well deserved win. Watching the show last night I was struck by a few things:

1) Why do people keeping calling it 'difficult music', as I personally find it very accessable.
2) Anthony, voice of an angel, body of a 2nd row forward.
3) Some of the performances (Anthony & the Johnsons, The Go Team!) made others (Kaizer Chiefs, Bloc Party) look very predestrian.
4) It doesn't matter what era you're living in, the editor of the NME is always the most punchable person in the music industry.

jenngorham said:
let's not start that again! :D
I'm thinking of compiling a list of all the things that Stewart hates. Unfortunatly I'm not sure I can steal stationary quickly enough to keep it up to date.

There is such a major difference in European music, and American music.....never, ever, have I ever considered the accordian to be anything other than a comedians prop, or some kind of sideshow circus contraption.... :D

But I will state for the record that coldplay makes me want to drive 10 inch knitting needles into my ears......

Kenny Shovel said:
Why do people keeping calling it 'difficult music', as I personally find it very acessable.
Probably because a lot of the meat is in the lyrics and requires a modicum of comprehension rather than a lack-lustre abillity to tap your feet and nod your head.
Anthony, voice of an angel, body of a 2nd row forward.

I was certainly surprised when I first saw him after hearing the voice. I thought, given the voice, that he was black. Never, ever, would I have thought it was the voice of an overweight, white Englishman.

Some of the performances (Anthony & the Johnsons, The Go Team!) made others (Kaizer Chiefs, Bloc Party) look very predestrian.

Sadly, I never got to see any of the show. Did KT Tunstall perform on it? I saw her studio performance on Later... for Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, which was truly energetic and original.

Motokid said:
There is such a major difference in European music, and American music.....never, ever, have I ever considered the accordian to be anything other than a comedians prop

To be fair, he grew up for the most part in America. The music was conceived in New York. ;)

Stewart said:
To be fair, he grew up for the most part in America. The music was conceived in New York. ;)

While that may be true, and I expect you to have the facts straight, I'd bet the majority of Americans have never heard of him/them....and the Music Awards you speak of were not on TV here either....and none of the bands you mentioned are names I've ever heard of.....

Motokid said:
While that may be true, and I expect you to have the facts straight, I'd bet the majority of Americans have never heard of him/them....

It's not about the majority; it's about the art. Very few Britons have heard of them either.

and the Music Awards you speak of were not on TV here either
It's an annual competition for the most original album by a British band or artist.

jenngorham said:
@kenny, what does second row forward mean?
It's a position in Rugby.
Look, Anthony:
antony.jpg

2nd row forward:
MARJOH_h250.jpg

Stewart said:
Sadly, I never got to see any of the show. Did KT Tunstall perform on it? I saw her studio performance on Later... for Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, which was truly energetic and original.
Yes, she was. I didn't see her performance on Later but I suspect it was the same. She performed Black Horse and the Cherry Tree by playing each part individually, when pressing a foot pedal to have that part looped back. Doing that she built up the entire song herself on stage; for me the performance of the night.

Kenny Shovel said:
4) It doesn't matter what era you're living in, the editor of the NME is always the most punchable person in the music industry.

****ing A!!!!

Back