• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

metrology

Libre

I'm fascinated by this topic.
The word metrology refers to the science of measurements. I was first introduced to some of the concepts of metrology when I studied experimental psychology, then later, as a mechanical designer and configuration manager for an aerospace corporation.
Some of the qualities of an instrument are:
accuracy, precision, reliability, traceability, and validity.
They are all different.
I think that an understanding of these qualities, and their subtle differences, improves one's thinking, and improves the quality of one's assumptions in every day living.
I don't assume the general population is fascinated by metrology, as I am, but I'm fascinated by a great deal that most of the rest of the world seems indifferent to.
An example of an instrument that is reliable and precise, but inaccurate: A digital clock that reads down to the second but is always exactly 5 minutes fast.
An example of an instrument that is accurate and reliable but has low precision: A yard stick with engraved divisions at 1 inch intervals.
An example of an instrument that is accurate, precise, and reliable, but with low validity: A scale for weighing people that would determine their height from their weight.
An unreliable instrument: a scale that reads up to 100lbs and has a margin of error of +/- 5 lbs.

I love this stuff.

Back