• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Bailey: Palindrome Hannah

Ok kids. Time to give a writer your support.
Stephen King has enough money.
Anne Rice doesn’t need any more black clothes.
JK Rolling writes for children fer chris’sake.

Start to invest in the future.

So, for those of you that aren’t all pissed off already, and knowing that many, many of you-all like “horror” books - were you aware that one of your fellow list-mates has written and published a book?
I didn’t until he quietly asked me to give it a read.

So, sirmyk gave me the book info and I ordered a copy which will arrive probably mid-month and around the time of its arrival I’ll give it a flip.
Instead of doing a private commentary, if indeed I have any vaguely meaningful comments, I suggested we take it public, this way maybe some of you will feel inclined to make a purchase and even, depending on sirmyk, some of you that fancy a career in writing/publishing can ask him some questions.

I might also add that since the Monthly Book selection is once again a Best Seller of low caliber, and Ken Follett has enough money too, maybe make an alternate read this (or next) month.

So, not that I’m necessarily supporting AMZ, but it’s the easiest I’d guess, so here’s the links for the hardcover and paperback (ISBNs 1588321274, 1588321266, respectively – for those non-existents that prefer to support their local bookstore)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...id=I84YK5QS9WH7W&v=glance&colid=19VLQDDZVJK0O

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=ed_oe_p/102-4483617-9010536?v=glance&st=*

Palindrome Hannah
Michael Bailey
Unlimited Publishing
(2005)

$14 bucks for a paperback. Hell, I’ll mail the few of you that give a damn 4 bucks, so that makes it $10. Barely the price of a cup o’ coffee at BucksofStar.

j
(miss poe, I’ll send you a copy when you get a new address; Jennifer, I'd buy you a book a month, but you wont let me...)

Thanks, Jay. I am willing to discuss this book until I die.

Here's the full cover, since Amazon butchered the crap out of it:

cover_sm.jpg

Motokid said:
Jay...are you in advertising.....

My Powers of Persuasion seemingly rank around the level of a Daffy Duck (I’m thinking of the Duck Season/Wabbit Season episode), I doubt that would be a great career move.
In time, due to my above post, we may even see sirmyk filing suit against me for swaying potential readers *away* from reading him…

Sirmyk, since AMZ doesn’t give a brief synopsis or quote the dust jacket, maybe you could give the good people here a small blurb? Most seem to feel comfortable knowing a book is a best seller, so I’m betting not many will invest in something totally blind.
j

jay said:
In time, due to my above post, we may even see sirmyk filing suit against me for swaying potential readers *away* from reading him…
Isn't all publicity good publicity? Like all fiction, some will like it, some won't. And it would take a lot for me to stupe down low enough to sue someone. Why should a lawyer make money off my misfortune?

jay said:
...since AMZ doesn’t give a brief synopsis or quote the dust jacket, maybe you could give the good people here a small blurb? Most seem to feel comfortable knowing a book is a best seller, so I’m betting not many will invest in something totally blind.
I'm nearly finished pestering Amazon to post the synopsis. They are very slow when it comes to site changes. It took nearly two weeks to get the crappy cover image they put there.

Anyway, here's the back cover text:

my publisher said:
Michael Bailey brilliantly blends horror and drama, art and pop, wit and mystery in this series of five dark, intertwined tales. With homage to Stephen King, David Mitchell, and Edgar Allen Poe, Bailey beats his own backward path into the deep dark woods of the human psyche and turns everything upside down.

Enter a cruel "palindrome" world: a strangely symmetrical place where disturbing incidents displace the rain-saturated Mayberry calm of contemporary suburban Seattle. A young father fights his suicidal urges. A failing marriage of two entirely unlikable people begins to unravel. An old man given to bouts of mental "whiteness" remembers the cruelty of the orphanage where he spent his childhood and how the "whiteness" began. A psychiatrist strives to understand a mental patient whose several uncanny abilities suggest something other-worldly. A school bully and the gang of misfits he tortures take a playground war farther and farther...

A hidden sixth story, told in reverse and interwoven into the others, uncovers the sad life of the "palindrome" child Hannah and her struggling teenage mother.

And what a local newspaper had to say: Mountain Democrat

My order goes into Amazon tomorrow and Palindrome Hannah is there on the list along with Lolita and a couple of others. Great supportive thread Jay, thumbs up.

francesca said:
My order goes into Amazon tomorrow and Palindrome Hannah is there on the list along with Lolita and a couple of others. Great supportive thread Jay, thumbs up.
Glad to be riding with Lolita...

I ordered mine in mid July and It's not coming (I'm in Australia) will the end of this month!! I gotta wait all that time!!
(which is probably good cos i got a ton of work and writing deadlines im struggling with)

Cant wait though. sounds amazing!

Lani

jay said:
Ok kids. Time to give a writer your support.
Stephen King has enough money.
Anne Rice doesn’t need any more black clothes.
JK Rolling writes for children fer chris’sake.

So true. So true. Now tell me, is this horror book scary or gross. Because I love me some scary, where I can't sleep at night after reading, but gross and violence does nothing for me. So if it involves the supernatural and such then I'll give it a go.

raffaellabella said:
So true. So true. Now tell me, is this horror book scary or gross. Because I love me some scary, where I can't sleep at night after reading, but gross and violence does nothing for me. So if it involves the supernatural and such then I'll give it a go.
There are a couple "gross-out" scenes, but they're not that bad, or so I am told (only PETA protests gross me out nowadays). There is some supernatural. And hopefully some scenes will keep you up at night. Mostly the horror within is urban horror... no werewolves, vampires and such. My opinion is that humans are the scariest of creatures.

Wow it sounds great. Its down on my list as "books to buy." So, next pay day, I'll pay a visit to Amazon.
Thanks Jay... I'd have never known about it!
And kudos to the author. Writing a book is always a great accomplishment!
Cheers

At one time I had no idea that sirmyk published a book. When I found out about the book, I ordered that same day. I read it in like 3 days and as stated before I enjoyed it much. It's one of those that just keeps you guessing. It also leaves you with meloncholy feelings regarding the characters.

Please everyone read it so that we can dicuss it openly. I have lots to say and comment on. I also have a few questions. I don't however want to post any spoilers at this time due to the fact that some of you guys maybe purchasing the book either now or in the near future, but as soon as everyone has had a chance to read it....Let's Talk.

Good Day!

Back