• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Ende: The Neverending Story

blurricus

How many people have read this? How many people have seen the movies?

What are your opinions on the book? I think it is one of the most amazing examples of character development.

Have you read anything else by Michael Ende?

I've read it. I loved it. I passed it on to a friend who "really wanted to borrow it". Sadly, I never got it back. I'd like to give it another read.

I've seen the first movie and I think the second (not positive though). I was really surprised when I finally read the book and realized that the original movie only covers the first half of it.

read the book when I was in high school. I remember liking it, but it didn't make a big impression on me. Not like the movie. I love the movie so much!

I always thought is was ironic that the author's name was Ende...maybe that's just me over-analysing. I never read the book but did quite like the film (and the song).

I absolutely adored this book, I read it when I should have been too old to really enjoy it, but I enjoyed it anyway. I was already a fan of the movie from my childhood, but the book is so much better and without that bad puppet dog-dragon. I have never even seen another book by Michael Ende much less read it. I don't know if I would anyway, I didn't think The Neverending Story was that well written, but it was a great story.

lethaldose said:
I didn't think The Neverending Story was that well written, but it was a great story.

Maybe the translation was not so good (like my english grammar :rolleyes: ).

When I was a kid I read this book often and loved it. The first time I read this book I was up all night, a blanket around my shoulders like Bastian. I felt like I was sucked into this book too.

The first movie was great too. I had a big crush on Jonathan Brandis when I was a kid :D.

I have also read some other books of Michael Ende: His most popular novel Momo, Jim Button (Jim Knopf), and The Night of Wishes (Der satanarchäolügenialkohöllische Wunschpunsch). When I was a kid I liked Jim Button the most.

Sad to say...

Seen the film but not read the book (oh how I hate it when people say that).

But I do remember thinking how terribly SAD the film was, in so many places. I was only young at the time (the ideal age for it, really) and I just felt bludgeoned by one heart-rending scene after another. And yet the overall experience, I remember, was still uplifting. Must be a good film, then, eh?

I love the Luck Dragon... and the scary statues with fiery eyes... Actually must watch it again.

Another favourite film was The Dark Crystal. I know this is a books forum, but I can't resist mentioning it. Anyone else love that?

I've only ever been able to get halfway through the book. For some reason, the odd names of the characters completely throw me off. It's not that the names in of themselves are weird, it's just the acceptance of them as viable names that gets on my nerves. For instance, nothing irritates me more than the name Moon Child. It reminds me of every girl I knew in seventh grade and her IM screen name:

Ex. Star Angel, Dreamyfied, Pixie Dust

Plus, I think it is a bit too long and a bit too complicated, though it is more interesting than The Hobbit, which isnt saying too much!

Kendall

mehastings said:
I've read it. I loved it. I passed it on to a friend who "really wanted to borrow it". Sadly, I never got it back. I'd like to give it another read.

Sadly the same thing happened to me.

I LOVED the first movie as a little girl (really hated the second one) and I had no idea it was book until a few years ago. I've only read it once and lent it to my friends daughter and have never seen it again, I want to read it again so badly. It's such a great book.

This one of the rare cases where I really enjoyed the book, but enjoyed the movie almost as much. I usually prefer the book over the movie but not so much with this one.

You are lucky. It is one of the hardest books to find. I have only ever seen the movie, but I'd love to give the book a read!

I've seen the 3 movies and I think I remember there being a cartoon as well, but I'm not sure. The third movie was horrible but the first two were great!

I'm reading the book now and i love it. I can't believe it took me so long...well i've never seen it in the bookshops before so i was quite happy to find it a while back. Still i never read it as a kid. But i'm enjoying it a lot now too :D

I only vaguely remember loving the movie when I was really little, so I picked up the book a little while ago. It was really wonderful, and the book filled in all the details and faces of the movie that I loved so much.

I haven't seen anything else by Michael Ende since. I didn't realize he had written any other books.

Back