• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

michael moore is a big fat stupid white man (mn', mn', mn')

bobbyburns

lol, the guys that wrote this book must've perfected their technique while reading some old girlfriend's ex-love letters, because this starts out really fucking psychotic ... just listen:

"dear mike,

here we are again, a year or so later.

what, you don't remember us? we understand how we might've slipped your mind -- what with your hectic schedule composing wildly arrogant letters to presidents and other people who actually do things for a living. or touring europe to preach resentment of the united states (before jetting back to enjoy the good life here). and, of course, there's the significant amount of time you must spend laughing all the way to the bank.

but we're your 'wacko attackos,' as you've so affectionately dubbed us. we're among the many who've been keeping an eye on you -- and piping up -- over the years. and well, we thought you deserved a response to the many unanswered letters you've sent to the high and mighty ... so here goes."

we're among the many who've been keeping an eye on you hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.
wait, we said that already. but we've become tired. WE SLEEP NOW!

He's not retarded. I'm not particularly a fan of his. He twists things and misrespresents things, and he's incredibly biased. Everyone knows that he's dreadful with his facts with the result that there are a lot more people checking the facts, if only so they can argue against him. The net result is that people end up a lot more aware of what is really going on and don't just sit around in their semi-hypnotic daze blindly accepting what they're being told.

I don't agree with his methods, but I do approve of the end result.

I find it odd that Micheal Moore seems to have made far more enemies than Noam Chomsky. Of the two Chomskys political views seem far more "out there" than Moore's. Infact I remember reading the opinion somewhere that Moore books are an "Idiots guide to Chomsky" :)

Having read both Hegemony or Survival (Chomsky) and Dude, Where's my country? (Moore) the Chomsky book is by far more damning to the US (and the UK) than anything Moore has ever written or is ever likely to write.

I suspect the reason why he (Moore) is so unpopular is because he is such a self-publicist. As I've said in another thread, personally I like him and always have time to read/listen to what he has to say.

I do agree that he is manipulative and that it always helps to listen to both sides of the arguement. However, in a world of news channels/papers/webfeeds/etc fed by government spin its always nice to be able to hear a dissenting voice. The news channels are as guilty of bias, misrepresentation and manipulation as Moore is!

Perhaps the method he uses to get his message accross is necessary to be heard amongst all the noise?

I read the first two chapters of this book yesterday at work. How do I put this? It reminds me of when a 3rd grader is mad at someone and writes this really nasty note to the person calling them a bunch of names, but not bringing any points of having to do with the issue they are pissed about. Regardless of whether Micheal Moore is in fact pasty, fat, or lazy.....what the hell does this have to do with his claims about government?! I've got one year left in my political science major, and I can safely say that this book would be laughed out of any one of our classrooms by both liberals and conservatives. It is a joke that it is even allowed to be called a book, more like an angry note. :eek:

punk, I thought part of the reason michael moore had more enemies than noam chomsky was because moore was targeting people like you and me--which means he's not verbose and doesn't expect you to already be familiar with scandals like the iran-contra affair or the sandinsta overthrow--he went out of his way to explain what he wrote so anyone could understand. granted, it wasn't always 100% accurate, but it was very easy to grasp. noam chomsky, on the other hand, is one of the most well-spoken intellectuals in america, but his books require an incredible amount of knowledge and commitment, and for the record I think that is his biggest weakness.

true, it's pathetic, isn't it? they're like little angry kids at recess saying, "we're gonna take our ball and go home". so somehow these guys survived with only a minimal amount of intelligence. I'm surprised they don't get their ass kicked more often.

yeah.. he is SO stupid.. oh..wait... and fat *Rolls Eyes* :confused:
lol.. ROFLMAO!!!

Bush is SO SMART * Laughs even harder*

For the GULLIBLE Bush lovers out there :D

We've got an issue in America. Too many good docs are getting out of business.
Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country.
-George W. Bush-

I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS FOR YOU TO PUT FOOD ON YOUR FAMILY."
-GREATER NASHUA, N.H., CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, JAN. 27, 2000

"It's one thing to have justice,
it's another thing to go overboard with justice."
-George W. Bush-

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."
-George W. Bush-

One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."
-George W. Bush-

"I hope one day I can clone another Dick Cheney. Then I won't have to do anything."
-George W. Bush-

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee..
that says fool me once... shame on... shame on you.
If you fool me you can't fool me again.
-George W. Bush-

wow.. great president

When taking office, the 10-year budget projection showed a surplus of 5.6 trillion. As a result of mostly my first round of tax cuts this surplus was whittled down to $1 trillion. Then with my second round of tax cuts and my war in Iraq, the 10-year projection is a deficit of $4 trillion. In other words, $9.6 trillion of taxpayer's money has been shifted to the most wealthy US residents and corporations.

Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12 month period.

In my first two years in office over 2.7 million Americans lost their job. No Bush president has ever created one net new job yet.

Cut unemployment benefits for more out of work Americans than any president in US history.

and the list goes on and on.. and on... and on...

Maybe Michael Moore is overboard, but I have read his book and his web site. We have some ugly talking radio talk show people, and he was an answer to them. I thought for awhile that I was the only person in the United States questioning what was going on in our government. I am not a person who feels - my country right or wrong. I was relieved Moore brought things out into the open.

punk said:
Perhaps the method he uses to get his message accross is necessary to be heard amongst all the noise?

Yes. As a long-time admirer of Chomsky, and one who approves of Moore but finds him sometime a bit irritating, I agree with everything punk says, by and large. Everyone should read Chomsky, but of course not everyone reads. Moore comes to them in pictures, much easier for them to digest. Punk's "reason he is unpopular" is the same thing that makes him popular among those who agree with what he says. Glib, flip and shallow as he may be, his views are out there where everyone can consider them, and be entertained at the same time. More power to him.

Hey, lay off bobby. He's being adjusted. There was a block of peanut brittle stuck in there.

Anyone who picks on his old posts is a turd who's going to get adjusted too, right? Start fresh.

novella said:
Hey, lay off bobby. He's being adjusted. There was a block of peanut brittle stuck in there.

Anyone who picks on his old posts is a turd who's going to get adjusted too, right? Start fresh.

Who picked on Bobby? If anyone did, was it he who implied Bobby can't take care of himself? Adjusted? Who by? Peanut brittle? What are you on about?

True@1stLight said:
It reminds me of when a 3rd grader is mad at someone and writes this really nasty note to the person calling them a bunch of names, but not bringing any points of having to do with the issue they are pissed about.
For a moment I thought you were writing about Moore! :D

Seriously, what bothers me about Moore: he's a whore calling whores "whores." He sold out his right to claim any righteousness about his questions. And that hurts. The question raised in "Bowling," "Why are Americans so afraid?" is important and begs for a reasoned and well-researched answer.

Oberon said:
a reasoned and well-researched answer.

America is due for a lot of these. I admire Moore's commitment to raising the questions, I detest his method and his inability to provide any of these answers, or inspire anyone else to do so.

Vietnam all over again

Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 8:47 AM
To: mike@michaelmoore.com
Subject: On behalf of my son, John

Dear Michael,

My step-son ________ has been in Iraq since March 19th. Last night he spoke to my husband on the phone (no, not a phone provided by the US government, an Iraqi satellite phone which he pays for himself). His unit got hit in a mortar attack. He watched one of his comrades get his legs blown off. His buddy tied tourniquets around the other soldier's legs and managed to stop arterial bleeding, luckily he is still alive.

_______ tried to give one soldier (a woman MP) CPR but she died in his arms

_______ said that this is the worst it's been since the "end" of the war. He said the troops have been given new rules of engagement, and that they are to "take out" any persons who aggress on the Americans, even if it results in "collateral" damage. Unfortunately, _______ did have to kill someone in self defense and was told by his commanding officer "Good kill."

_______ replied "You just don't get it, do you?".

Here we are...Vietnam all over again.

_______ is a peace-loving 25 year old who enlisted to pay off his undergraduate loans (45K!) and to get free grad school. He never believed he would be put in a situation like this.

My husband, who served in Vietnam, was a consultant to the defense industry for 20+ years. On March 19th he quit his job, (even though he had a ten year contract left) in protest of this administration's policies. Money is definitely tighter around our house but we wouldn't have it any other way!

I want to thank you for getting the truth out there, Michael. I no longer watch or read any mainstream media and have encouraged everyone I know to do the same. Your books and videos will be my Christmas gifts to everyone this year (including my right-wing family in Buffalo!).

Thank you, Thank you
Don't stop doing what you do!

Garthbooks said:
Here we are...Vietnam all over again.

This is one powerful post. For anyone who remembers Vietnam, anyway. Thanks, Garthbooks.

Deviating from Michael Moore a bit, but does anyone out there remember John Patrick's play, Kennedy's Children? A series of monologues, players taking turns to tell their stories. I head it on radio, quite by chance -- came in the door, switched it on and thought What's this shit? It sounded a bit self-indulgent, a bit over the top, even when I realised it was fiction. By the time I'd heard two of the monologues, though, I was sitting rigid, rivetted to my chair.

I'm not old enough to remember Vietnam, but all the people I know that are say there's no comparison. This army is strictly volunteer. The daily death totals are nowhere near the totals of Vietnam. There is no superpower backing the resistance as in Vietnam. IMO, this situation is ten times better than Vietnam. The difference is the media is all over it; we know everything. Sometimes we know more than we should concerning troop movements.

My friend's dad just got back from Iraq, and I've talked to him about it. The vast majority of the Iraqi people are working hard to build democracy and improve the daily lives of other Iraqis. My friend's dad worked with Iraqis daily, and he didn't meet one that didn't work hard or one that didn't thank him for his efforts. He also said that he didn't know a single soldier over there that complained about being there. You just never hear that on the news.

War is ugly. No one can argue that. I hope that I never have to see war first hand. However, I know that war is sometimes necessary. The reasons for war are not always straightforward for the public as in this case. If you watched the election coverage, you'll know that know candidate had an answer for what they would've done other than invade Iraq. Kerry said he would've stayed in Afghanistan. That's great. Bin Laden was in Pakistan, so that's a real big help. Besides, Afghanistan was just a staging area for Al Qaida. Their money was coming form the Wahabi factions in Saudi Arabia, and the House of Saud was doing nothing to stop the money flow. How do you put the Saudis in check? Put an army at their door while deposing a dictator that's known to have filled mass graves with innocent people.

All I'm trying to say is that the men and women serving over there aren't serving in vain. What I'm also saying (to be on the subject) is that Michael Moore if full of rhetoric, looks at one side of the issue, and leans on conspiracy theories to explain his point of view.

Back