• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mikhail Naimi:The Book of Mirdad.

VestnikRA

I would like to share with you this increadible book that made a significant impact on my life: The Book of Mirdad by Mikhail Naimi. Here is an excerpt from the book:
MIRDAD: Love is the Law of God.
You live that you may learn to love.
You love that you may learn to live.
No other lesson is required of Man.
And what is it to love but for the lover to absorb forever the beloved so that the twain be one?
And whom, or what, is one to love? Is one to choose a certain leaf upon the Tree of Life and pour upon it all one's heart? What of the branch that bears the leaf? What of the stem that holds the branch? What of the bark that shields the stem? What of the roots that feed the bark, the stem, the branches and the leaves? What of the soil embosoming the roots? What of the sun, and sea, and air that fertilize the soil?
If one small leaf upon a tree be worthy of your love how much more so the tree in its entirety? The love that singles out a fraction of the whole foredooms itself to grief.

Here is another escerpt from The Book of Mirdad:
The Way to Painless Life.
MIRDAD: This is the way to freedom from care and pain:
- So think as if your every thought were to be etched in fire upon the sky for all and everything to see. For so, in truth, it is.
- So speak as if the world entire were but a single ear intent on hearing what you say. And so, in truth, it is.
- So do as if your every deed were to recoil upon your heads. And so, in truth, it is.
- So wish as if you were the wish. And so, in truth, you are.
- So live as if your God Himself had need of you His life to live. And so, in truth, He does.

More about Love:
MIRDAD: ...You have no friends so long as you can count a single man as foe.
The heart that harbours enmity how can it be a safe abode for friendship?
You do not know the joy of Love so long as there is hatred in your hearts. Were you to feed all things the sap of Life except a certain tiny worm, that certain tiny worm alone would embitter your life. For in loving anything, or anyone, you love in truth but yourselves. Likewise in hating anything, or anyone, you hate in truth but yourselves. For that which you hate is bound up inseparably with that which you love, like the face and the reverse of the same coin, If you would be honest with yourselves, then must you love what you hate and what hates you before you love what you love and what loves you....

MIKHAIL NAIMY was born in Baskinta, in central Lebanon.
He was educated in Russia and obtained degrees of Liberal Arts and law at the University of Washington USA. In 1916 HE MOVED TO New york where he founded with his closest friend KAHLIL GIBRAN, a dynamic movement for the rejuvenation of arabic liiterature. MIKHAIL NAIM was the Biographer of Kahlil Gibran. He has been described as one of the greatest spiritual writers of the 20th century. He died in 1988.

This is one of Osho's favorite books. This is what he says about it:
"Millions of people have tried to write books so that they can express the inexpresible,
but have utterly failed. I know only one book, THE BOOK OF MIRDAD, which has not failed; and if you cannot get to the very essence of it, it will be your failure, not his!

I am glad to see that, out of all the possibilities, his focus is clearly on love.

I think that was hhis life-task.

MIRDAD: The Overcomer do I preach - Man unified and master of himself.
Man made a prisoner by the love of a woman, and a woman made prisoner by the love of man are equally unfit for Freedom?s precious crown. But man and woman made as one by love, inseparable , indistnguishable are verily entitled to that prize.
No love is Love that subjugates the Lover.
No love is Love that feeds on flesh and blood.
No love is Love that draws a woman to a man only to breed
more women and men and thus perpetuate their bondage to the flesh.
The Overcomer do I speach - The Phoenix-man who is too free to be male, too sublimated to be a female.
As in the denser spheres of Life the male and the female are one, so are they one in Life?s rarer spheres.
The interval between is but a segment in eternity dominated by the illusion of Duality.
Those who can see neither before nor aft believe this segment of eternity to be itself Eternity.
They cling to the delusion of Duality as if it were of Life its very core and essence, not knowing that the rule of Life is Unity....

Back