• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

MLK quotes you are unlikely to hear on Fox News or Glenn Beck's show today

Personally I like Fox news and Glenn Beck, but I still read this to see what MLK meant. I know MLB means major league baseball, or sometimes middle linebacker. I thought maybe this was major league karate.

I didn't know that people DIDNT know what MLK meant...I just thought it was like knowing what JFK or FDR was....(Franklin Delano Romanowski?);)

I didn't know that people DIDNT know what MLK meant...I just thought it was like knowing what JFK or FDR was....(Franklin Delano Romanowski?);)

+1

All USAians know what MLK stands for. The rest of the world gets a pass.

I didn't know either. Didn't even know he had his own day.
Martin Luther King Jr is essentially an institution in itself in the US. He's definitely more well-known than 90% of our former presidents. Pretty much every major city in the US has a Martin Luther King Blvd or St or Rd or something. It's actually kind of weird now that I think about it.

I was thinking about this today. even on the news in the U.S. they will often say MLK Boulevard instead of Martin Luther King Boulevard.

I am from US and didn't know what MLK meant. I thought it was just me so I asked 3 other people from US what MLK was and they didn't know either. However they all knew JFK and FDR. I do not know what day MLK day is, but I do remember it was a paid holiday so okay by me. I suppose it is not politically correct to not know what MLK means and now I feel just awful.

I think expatriate is a word but the word expat is often misused because technically expatriates were forced to leave home, which is not always the case with many people called expats. I am in Asia and travel frequently.

I am from US and didn't know what MLK meant. I thought it was just me so I asked 3 other people from US what MLK was and they didn't know either. However they all knew JFK and FDR. I do not know what day MLK day is, but I do remember it was a paid holiday so okay by me. I suppose it is not politically correct to not know what MLK means and now I feel just awful.

I gotta say, it's nice to see someone go right against this current trend of pretending to be smarter than they actually are.

I think expatriate is a word but the word expat is often misused because technically expatriates were forced to leave home, which is not always the case with many people called expats. I am in Asia and travel frequently.

Odd. The OED says:

a. An expatriated person. In modern usage, a person who lives in a foreign country.

b. Of, pertaining to, or being an expatriate; living in a foreign country esp. by choice.

The verb implies exile though, not the noun.

Also, not to threadjack but you never did answer my query here: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f15/what-is-wrong-with-society-21202-2.html#post304705

Yes Beer I am often thinking the same thing when reading this forum. Some people who write in that they just finished reading The History of Sub-Atomic Particles or some such thing probably really read Zombie Vampire Killers. Or something fictional, like the new york times. However, I am sure there are many intelligent people on forum, like the guy who reads the Glenn Beck books.

Back