• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

MMA death, first fight

My nephew does that stuff. He's only been in two fighs, but he won both of them with a "rear naked choke hold." I hold to google it to find out what that was. I'm not too concerned for him, he's a big boy and was an all state wrestler in high school. He loves that kind of thing.

The worst I get from book reading is a paper cut, which is enough for me.

[Or is it only me who thinks this thread is somewhat cavalier about the matter?]

One of my favorite quotes.

"God gave everyone a talent. Mine happens to be punching people in the face."
-Sugar Ray Leonard
:lol::lol:

That's a really nice sentiment in a thread about a human being who died for someone's idea of entertainment.

That's a really nice sentiment in a thread about a human being who died for someone's idea of entertainment.

I'm commenting about boxing in general. I'm not in any way making light of the person's death. I did mention I have a relative who participates in MMA. If it's too un-PC to mention these things, then you'll have to deal with it.

Threads take different tangents, and this one started that a post or two before mine. It is interesting that you didn't take issue with some of those light hearted comments.

Except that I did, that's why I commented on Sparkchaser's comment. But I see no reason to derail this any further.

True, there are dangerous sports where people might - and often do - get hurt by accident. Then, there are a few sports where the point of the sport - explicitly or implicitly - is to hurt the other person. I'd say there's a difference. But hey, they're all adults. But if someone were to die in a car crash during Indy 500, I would suggest that you don't have to be "PC" to think that responding to it by posting a quote about how much fun it is to force other drivers off the road and a bunch of smilies is a bit, well, cavalier. That's really all I meant to say.

I've always been one of those boxing fans that despises MMA/UFC because of its lack of restraint and style, but I have to admit that when people die from the purposeful physical contact from another person's fists it makes boxing much harder to defend. I watched a fight in 2001 where a fighter died after going into a coma after being battered in the head for several rounds. Either his corner or the referee has got to know when too much of a beating is taking place, even at the expense of a potential win.

Except that I did, that's why I commented on Sparkchaser's comment. But I see no reason to derail this any further.

Then you should've let it be instead of dragging it out like this. It is just as cheap for people to post a "oh how said" kind of thing. It isn't crass to comment on the general world of MMA/boxing as opposed to the more focused issue of the young man in question. It is unfortunate, but seriously, there isn't a requirement to post in sack cloth and ashes on this thread. It's really rich that you are essentially doing the same thing as you yourself have taken the non-mourning tack in post #16.

Back