• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My poor, poor books! How can I clean them?

BocLiss

If you don't want to read my sad story below, here's my question:

Mice got into my books and peed on the outer page surfaces. Is there any good way to clean this? I had just planned on using warm water and a towel (and some rubber gloves).

I (kind of) recently bought a house and have been remodeling, and most of my possessions are currently sitting in a storage facility (including most of my books). In fact, a lot of my books have been there since I moved a few years ago. Most of them are stored in plastic totes, which keeps them in good condition, but some are still in cardboard boxes. Anyway, I had been searching my storage space for a particular book, but had been unable to find it until today. Today I found that I had packed it, and a few other books, away into a cardboard box with some other miscellaneous items and at some point during storage mice had gotten into the box. There were dried mouse droppings which really didn't do any damage, but there is some mouse urine on the pages of three very important (to me) books.

I am really kicking myself for not storing these in the plastic tubs. I can't think of any reason why I would have put these three treasured books into the cardboard box, unless I thought that I would be unpacking this box shortly after moving. But as fate had it, I ended up in transition for a few years while my stuff all sat in storage. To make matters worse, these books were sitting on their spines with the page ends facing upwards. As you can imagine, this is the worst possible position for books to be in if a mouse is peeing on them -- the urine soaks into the pages. Why I stored them like that I don't know, because this is also a very bad way for books to sit. Three of the books could be replaced (at expense), but one is now out of print. Stupid, stupid stupid. :(

Thanks. I guess I was just too traumatized to do any googling, but I'll have a look at those links and do some searching on my own.

One thing I'm worried about is if the mouse urine can carry any diseases. I know that hanta virus is spread by mouse droppings and urine, but I don't know if it has to be fresh or not. I'm guessing that this mouse damage was done two years ago when I first noticed that mice had been in my storage area. Since then I have kept poison out and haven't seen any more fresh evidence.

I searched Amazon, and all of these books are replaceable ($135 total), except for my hardback copy of "Composition of Scientific Words" -- that one is available, but in softcover only. Oh well, I guess I need to finish my house and get all of my books out of storage.

Hi BocLiss
Don't know if this helps but i always clean every second hand book i buy with household anti-bacterial spray. i spray the covers inside and out and the edges of the pages and wipe dry with a paper towel. (do not over spray and wipe off quickly)

Back