• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Naguib Mahfouz

Stewart

The recent death of Egyptian Nobel laureate, Naguib Mahfouz, reminded me that I had always wanted to read a novel by him called Midaq Alley. Looking over his short bio, as linked to above, it would seem that his most famous work was The Cairo Trilogy, books about life in, of all places, Cairo.

My wanting to read his works are continually scuppered in bookshops as they seem to always have only book two and three and never in a similar edition. I'll probably take my search online at a later date.

I'm interested though as to whether anyone has read these books or any more in Mahfouz's canon.

I hope someone speaks up too. The woman who issued the Olympic Challenge has Children of the Alley on her list for Egypt and I was wondering if I should look for it myself. Looks like a good excuse to browse Amazon anyway..like I really needed another one:rolleyes:

Fascinating Writer

Mr. Mahfouz' death saddened me very much. Unfortunately I'm incapable of finding most of his work in Portugal: either it's out of print or it hasn't been translated yet. I read Arabian Nights and Days by chance, and his fantastic world held me in thrall until the last page.

Although I never plan what I'll read next, Mr. Mahfouz is a writer whose work I want to know better.

Outstanding Trilogy

Sorry to hear you couldn't get a copy of Mahfouz's impressive trilogy. In Italy it has been easy to find ever since the first translation in the early nineties. I've read it first about ten years ago and keep rereading parts every once in a while. First of all I have to say that what I usually look for in great books is innovative use of language and it's just too difficult to judge such a translation, from a non-european language, on this basis. But these books were so good that won me over even if I don't have a soft spot for family sagas. It's because of their insight, of the way the lives of the characters actually cast their shadows on a bigger canvas that is Egypt's history. They are fairly Buddenbrook-esque in this respect. I guess one could say this is not new stuff, as Mann, and many others at that, did the same thing. But here we're talking El Cairo- it's really stunning the way Mahfouz portrays arab intellectuals, divided between Marx and the mosque, between opening to the world and preserving their identity. This could teach us westerners a lot about the conflicts open-minded muslim intellectuals undergo. As I said I usually go for structure, architecture, sheer use of words, and I'm not really interested in psychological description - but I can assure you that Mahfouz is so good at this, that his everyday, well-rounded characters gain greater intensity by becoming both archetypes that touch your heart and actors on the greater scene of history.

Synchronicity. I was just thinking about Mahfouz today.

I was shopping today with my mom, and while at the bookstore a certain book picked her interest. I ask her the title, and she shows me the cover. It's Mahfouz' Wedding Song. My mom liked it and it's cheap: I think I know what to give her in her next birthday ;)

Dying or winning a Nobel Prize will do wonders for your books: Mahfouz' works is appearing on the bookshelves again here. A while ago I found Midaq Alley at a ridiculously low price and didn't buy it because I already had a bag full of books in my hands. But I doubt the demand will be so huge it'll disappear before I can get it :D

Funnily enough I'm reading Palace Walk (first of the Cairo Trilogy) at the moment. I'm not very far in and it hasn't as yet completely grabbed me, but it has taken me out of a recent reading rut. I can see already why Mahfouz was so admired, his writing is simple and very readable, yet still manages to paint a very rich picture and he really makes his characters come alive.

It also took me a while to be grabbed - after the first volume I didn't immediately begin the second, I was almost annoyed by the slow pace and by the apparently naive vocabulary. But I kept on reading just because my father had bought all the three of them. :p Also, characters of the third generation (Khadija's sons, etc) become more interesting as they're nearer to our sensibility.

It also took me a while to be grabbed - after the first volume I didn't immediately begin the second, I was almost annoyed by the slow pace and by the apparently naive vocabulary. But I kept on reading just because my father had bought all the three of them. :p Also, characters of the third generation (Khadija's sons, etc) become more interesting as they're nearer to our sensibility.

I quite like things that are slow paced, especially if the writer is taking a more scenic route - and here Mahfouz is taking the reader right into the heart of Cairo, and what better way to introduce us to the culture and society than through this middle class family. I'm more than happy to take time out from the story to catch a peek into their everyday lives and routines.
Khadija had my interest from her first appearance - I thought this one will be a 'Character', but you've told me what's in her future now and I just don't know whether I should bother reading on :D . .

well you couldn't imagine her being a spinster for the rest of her life, this being 1920s cairo!:D but there's a lot about her... she's very intriguing, even more so if you consider she's been created by a man. Mahfouz seems almost feminist in some respects. She's not really that sympathique... but she's very smart, sometimes she's capable of a certain irony, she's subtly master of her own destiny. I also love Aicha/Aisha (how is it spelt in the English version?). But wait here would come a spoiler... :eek: no I behaved well this time... I also agree with the slow pace thing. It's only that back then I kept expecting... expecting... when you only need to enjoy the journey. With a good mint tea, if possible!

well you couldn't imagine her being a spinster for the rest of her life, this being 1920s cairo!:D but there's a lot about her... she's very intriguing, even more so if you consider she's been created by a man. Mahfouz seems almost feminist in some respects. She's not really that sympathique... but she's very smart, sometimes she's capable of a certain irony, she's subtly master of her own destiny. I also love Aicha/Aisha (how is it spelt in the English version?). But wait here would come a spoiler... :eek: no I behaved well this time... I also agree with the slow pace thing. It's only that back then I kept expecting... expecting... when you only need to enjoy the journey. With a good mint tea, if possible!

That's a very good understanding of Khadija. She is very smart, and I can believe that she will be master of her own destiny . Aisha (it's spelt this way in my copy) is so far not much more than a pretty face - in a way her lack of substance just highlights Khadija's personality all the more. I'm pretty sure she'll come into her own though, I wouldn't think that Mahfouz would create an empty character.

sorry!!

I am really a brainless idiot, am I! I got it completely wrong, I said Aisha but meant her mother AMINA!!!! Sorry for the mistake, I was absorbed by the spelling thing. Anyway I meant the mother, but you'll soon find out why she's such a special character.
Uh, about Aisha... (how dumb I am) well of course she sort of develops later on but it seems to me that she's more of a symbolic character - exactly the pretty face you mentioned, you know, youth's tender roses that are, one day, to fade... In a way I guess she is kind of shallow if compared to the others, but I think what is important in her case is not how she handles her life (which, of course, she does not) but what "fate" does to her. Her beauty dooms her to be almost a constant 'memento mori' to the family - the passing of time, the inevitable decay...- while K.'s ugly face allows her to act. (of course there's more to it but well I don't want to spoil it...)Wow, I almost want to leave my current Kurzweil novel and reread Mahfouz again...

Akhenaten: Dweller In Truth (1985)

The facts of the story, at least according to the novel: The Pharaoh Akhenaten the Heretic (1353 BCE – 1336 BCE), son of Amenhotep III, husband of Nefertiti, had some pretty wild ideas. Rather than stick to the usual menagerie of Egyptian gods on whose worship the entire country depended, he claimed to believe in one single creator god, who asked for love rather than sacrifice, peace rather than conquest, music rather than blood, and whose son and prophet he was. Consequently, he demanded that all of Egypt change their beliefs accordingly, moved the capitol from Thebes to Akhetaten, refused to defend the country's borders with force, and generally made an embarrassment of himself until he was deposed and replaced with his brother Tutankhamen. Akhenaten and his queen were held prisoners in their new capitol, where he later died somehow, after which things returned to normal, Akhenaten's reign was expunged from the records, and this monotheism business was never heard of again.

Years later, a young scribe with an interest in history decides to find out exactly what happened, and visits all the important players who are still alive; the priests, the generals, the concubines, the policemen, the doctors, and the queen herself, writing down their version of the story and collecting it. Everyone pretty much agrees on what happened, but they all have different opinions of why and what it all meant. Some consider Akhenaten a madman, some a ruthless dictator, some a puppet to his scheming wife, some a great prophet, some simply a wayward friend. It's a Rashomon story; the same story told from lots of different angles, until it becomes obvious that when it comes to ideas and religion, there can never be one truth of what happened and what will happen from now on - everyone has their reasons for believing and acting the way they do, everyone's motivations are complex; after all, Mahfouz wrote the novel in 1980s Egypt, struggling with modernisation, religious fundamentalism and border questions, and it shows. Perhaps a little too much at times, as if he took for granted that the reader was as familiar with the backdrop as he is - which isn't necessarily bad, but when the narrators are supposed to be living 3,500 years ago, it gets a bit awkward at times. The appeal of Akhenaten's brand new faith, especially, remains a bit of a mystery. Still, it's a fascinating little novel at only 150-odd pages, constantly adding new layers of questions without giving any clear-cut answers or pointers. If the Swedish translation hadn't been horribly botched, I would probably have given it :star4:, now I'll have to settle for :star3:.

Back