• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nanowrimo

murphyz

The time is aproaching, and in just over one and a half months it will be November, and time once again for http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

For those who don't know about nanowrimo, the rules are simple, the challenge is hard.

It stands for National November Writing Month and your task, should you choose to accept it, is to write a 50,000+ word book in one month, It can be a load of spontaneous unedited drivel, but just make sure it hits the word count.

So clear your calendars now and get ready to type your hearts out.

I did it two years ago, starting late in November and managed to write 51,176 words in two weeks - without getting fired.

I urge all of you would-be writers to give it a go and let it help you get out of any writers block you may be experiencing and start to finally get some of those great ideas you have down on paper.

Mxx

LOL. That actually sounds like a lot of fun... But how does it work? I mean, it's an online thing, so anyone could really start earlier than November 1st, right? (I know it beats the purpose then, but still)

Yes, that is the case. They ask that you do it solely in November and only really use ideas from then, not something you have been cooking up and experimenting with since you were ten.

I think the whole challenge is that it is done in one month and you personally will not get as much of a sense of achievement for 'cheating' as it were. There is no way of checking, and a few years ago when I last did it there wasn't a real way of verifying it either - but I think they may have an official word counter now.

So, yes, it's down to trust and the fact you are only cheating yourself doing any of it before hand.

I believe there are thousands of people doing it this year, which is a several hundred percent increase to the first time I did it. This means that the major cities will no doubt have their own minigroups and it may be a great way to meet other people in your area who are enthusiastic about writing.

Mxx

Nanowrimo is approaching again. I've seen a few people posting about how to start writing, and I think this would be a brilliant way to get going on a draft and have support along the way. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but November never agrees with my schedule. Maybe next year... ;)

What do the more established writers think about about this project?

You know the expression "certifiably insane," but have you ever wondered what a certificate of insanity looked like? Well, it looks like this:

aimg367.imageshack.us_img367_7577_napo1nh.gif

Mari
(signed up yesterday)

so can you write anything?? can it be lots of little stories that have nothing to do with each other or does it have to be one big story????

it sounds quite good...think i might have a go

This will be my fourth nano. The first year, I finished but sort of cheated a little and the book was terrible. The second year I burned out at the 40-page mark following a really difficult technical chapter about robots. Last year I finished and have a story I am quite happy with and hoping to edit into something useable. This year I thought I would write a sequel to it, but I think I need a break from it so I might write something different.

*~EMMER~* said:
so can you write anything?? can it be lots of little stories that have nothing to do with each other or does it have to be one big story????

it sounds quite good...think i might have a go

Technically, it is supposed to be a novel. Thus the name, however, nobody ever stops by to demand a copy of your work. So, if you really want to write a bunch of short stories nobody will ever know. Check out the website at www.nanowrimo.org for more info.

We have Chris Baty's book, No Plot? No Problem! and have thought about trying this out. I thought he said in the book that it was ok to pick a different month if November is just not a viable option. For me, as a homeschooling mom, a summer month might be better. But for support from the official website while writing, I'd need to do it in November. There are other related groups that could provide support during other times of the year.. I do think I'll pull out Mr.Baty's book for a re-read, and leave it lying around for my hubby..inspiration is such a priceless gift:)

Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe a good way to lose my writing virginity! The idea of writing a novel is always one I've entertained but I've never put any energy into. Maybe this is the incentive I need. Not sure if I can fit it around school but if I set myself some targets, maybe I'll be able to do it.

Just for clarification; the aim is to write 50000 words of fictional prose, not, essentially to come up with a completely possible, well structured story? I know that's the ideal, but is that what the focus is on?
And just out of curiousity, how long a novel is 50,000 words? I couldn't even guess.

Twilite said:
Just for clarification; the aim is to write 50000 words of fictional prose, not, essentially to come up with a completely possible, well structured story?
Affirmative.

And just out of curiousity, how long a novel is 50,000 words? I couldn't even guess.

Just over 200 pages.

Twilite said:
Just for clarification; the aim is to write 50000 words of fictional prose, not, essentially to come up with a completely possible, well structured story? I know that's the ideal, but is that what the focus is on?

I think it is about 175 pages. It is a short novel. The point is to get 50,000 words out. It is OK if it is complete crap. From what I understand the whole point is to let you say "I've written my first novel". That way, you know you can do it and are less likely to get burned out or intimidated when trying to write a novel of some higher level of quality.

One way to use the month of high-pressure, goal-oriented writing is to bash out a first draft. There's no time for editing, no time for looking back, for the voice of doubt, the self-censor. When it's over, you've written a whole novel! It will suck, but then you'll have NaNoEdMo.

I made it to 50k last year, and I have spent the months since then finishing it and revising it. Nano can be a great jump-starter.

That's a great achievement Mari, nicely done :) .

I'm supposed to be going away in November, but if I don't, then I'll give it a go. A little lighthearted competition among TBF'ers (BAR'fers doesn't have quite the same ring to it) might work as motivation :D .

Oh, I'm definitely planning on participating this year. I found out about it in mid-november last year.

So, this year I am writing that novel!! :D

Gem said:
That's a great achievement Mari, nicely done :) .

I'm supposed to be going away in November, but if I don't, then I'll give it a go. A little lighthearted competition among TBF'ers (BAR'fers doesn't have quite the same ring to it) might work as motivation :D .
Thank you.

If enough BARflys get interested by November, we might want to have a NaNo forum where each of us can start a thread for posting our daily work, sharing our stress, etc.

To protect the novels, however, it would have to be off the web, for members only. Can that be done here?

Back