• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Napoleon Dynamite

ladyjune98

Anyone seen it? What did you think? I thought it was dumb and amusing at the same time . . . somehow, I liked it even though I felt like it was a waste of time. Very different.

GOSH!!!!!! IDIOTS!!!!

i loved it. i thought it was great, not dumb at all. way funnier than any snl alumni's efforts.

Hey! Someone beat me to the punch at starting this thread.

I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. It seemed to be mocking the characters, and quite frankly I knew people like this when I was at high school. These people need assistance with their social problems, not ridicule. I just didn't understand where the humour in it was...

see i thought that it showed this guy, obviously outside the "norm" and he didn't give a rats ass, and went on to win them over. that dance scene was priceless. and i think we have all been a little bit napoleon dynamite. i mean isn't high school just like that for everyone?
plus who knew tater tots were so damn funny.

jenngorham said:
see i thought that it showed this guy, obviously outside the "norm" and he didn't give a rats ass, and went on to win them over.

But he did care! That's why he was constantly lying about things and exaggerating - to try and fit in! And when someone made him uncomfortable he tried to run away (calling his brother to pick him up). I didn't really think he won them over, either. They cheered for his dance (which was one of the two things about the film I enjoyed), but I hardly think that meant he was best buds with everyone.

I'm not trying to spoil the film for anyone, but I just don't understand where the humour was in it. I just found it very, very sad.

Don't let other people ruin it for you, Bobby. It was a good one.

I feel like everybody knew that kid in high school, the guy that was always getting picked on for just being in his own world, and he got to be the hero for once. Of course, it was after we laughed at him through the entire movie, but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

i thought it was damn good. the dance scene was brilliant. the chick who took the posed photos! it was unconventionally funny. i'm so sick of comedies where you can predict what line is coming next or the humour is obvious.

I didn't like it much at all... It could've been that I saw it way after the hoopla (yay dvds). I was mortified when I saw this in the April 25 issue of Newsweek:

It's Official: The Film Is Freakin' Sweet

Idaho loves 'Napoleon Dynamite' so much, its state legislature formally commended the filmmakers. Excerpts:

WHEREAS, Tater Tots figure prominently in this film, thus promoting Idaho's most famous export; and

WHEREAS, the friendship between Napoleon and Pedro has furthered multiethnic relationships; and

WHEREAS, Uncle Rico's football skills are a testament to Idaho athletics; and

WHEREAS, Kip's relationship with LaFawnduh is a tribute to e-commerce and Idaho's commitment to healthy marriages...

Source: Newsweek

(On second thought, maybe this should go in the "Only in America..." thread.)

Kookamoor said:
I thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.

Me too. I had to struggle through it while a bunch of my friends sat there and laughed their butts off. I just thought it was really boring. Then again, I don't see what is so funny about Trogdor either.

mehastings said:
Then again, I don't see what is so funny about Trogdor either.
UGH! "TROGDOR!" and "Battle Axe Lessons at the Y with your instructor Dolph Halderhagen!" SB is the man! The techno episode is so great! Then again, I am an engineering dork. SB and Trogdor were some of the few things that kept me alive and halfway sane through final design my senior year. Muchas gracias, homestarrunner.com.

This movie was sooo dumb but amusing. At the beginning of the school year, one of my teachers had told us how he loved one of the dances in the movie. He promiesed us that sometime in that year he would bring the movie and we could dance to it (odd, i know). And on the last day of the school year we ended up dancing this highly odd/hard dance.

Come on, guys...

I rented this movie from Blockbuster a couple years ago (?) because the movie we really wanted to watch wasn't available. Anyway, with NO expectations and no clue as to what this movie was about, we enjoyed this movie from the first scene to the last.

Chimichanga Day...LOL!

Back