• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Naruto

direstraits

I've been indulging in some manga reading on my iPad (did I mention that I really really love my iPad? No? Maybe in another thread then). So I have this app called Manga Rock Unity (I know this sounds incredibly nerdy - bear with me...), and it basically is a tool that collates manga series and makes it available for viewing for free.

So I accidentally downloaded a couple of issues of Naruto, a very popular Japanese manga series that's been running longer than the entirety of CSI, and before I knew it I'm at issue 540+ after about 3 weeks of casual reading. Each issue is very short (less than 20 pages), so this didn't actually mean I was reading 24/7.

What I realized is, having also been familiar with another long-running manga series Dragon Ball, there is a very simple formula to keep the audience hooked - neverending battles. They then to get bigger as the issues roll along, the characters get better, while at the same time the opponents get tougher. This escalates in a very insidious manner where you don't really realize this is happening, and suddenly the character who used to have problems standing upside down on a tree branch is now wielding energy shurikens the size of a redwood tree trunk.

Anyone else familiar with Naruto? Or perhaps a manga series that isn't so out and out bash & slash?

Finished all the currently out issues. Apparently it's not even close to being finished. Very unhappy to be left hanging, but then realized I've been strung along for many a series, either books or comics or TV series.

Anyway, wanted to quickly revisit my earlier comment: my view that the longevity of a manga series being solely dependent on 'battles' is really quite short-sighted, given that there's such a wide variety of manga that's available. Not all of them are bash em ups, obviously.

Back