• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Natasha Mostert: Season of the Witch

AstleFire

This week I've been reading this really interesting dark contemporary fantasy novel called "Season of the Witch" by Natasha Mostert, after reading a recommendation on a blog I read - and I'd like to pass it on to you guys here. Though it is very dark it is not your usual fantasy fare - it's set in present-day London and computer hacking is a central element to the plot.

The most pleasing thing about the book is the sensible and adult approach taken - it's very well-researched into the history of witchcraft and alchemy, and taught me a few things about concepts I had never heard of before. And it mixes in a fair amount of dark romance into the tale as well, which really enhances the story. I think being written by a woman (an all too rare occurrence in fantasy) makes it much more convincing than several other books I have read on the same matter.

Overall I found this book really intriguing and full of enough twists to keep me going to the very end. I'd very strongly recommend this to anyone interested in fantasy or mystery novels.

Back