• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National bestsellers? The new york times bestsellers? ....

Crystal

kickbox
When looking for books in the bookstores, I often saw many books that were highlightened by words like: by national bestseller authour ***, or the new york times bestseller.(for example, anyone knows anything about Lousie Erdrich? Is Christopher Moore a good author? and Russel Banks??)

Most of the time, I was not very familiar with those authors, and I kinda fancied those books might not be too bad. (yah, I am an awarded-book-mania.) And, my problem is, should I trust those kind books and put them on my shelf? I mean I don't want to waste money on some worthless, for-one-time-reading/entertaining books, to be honest. So, what would be your opinion on those books that labeled with those kinda words??

Thank you for any input to help me to get more clear idea on those kinda books.

So-called "best sellers" are not the best books, nor are they necessarily the most widely read, popular books. They are the most hyped, pushed, advertised books. They are the books the publishers and wholesale jobbers push out the door in huge numbers because they have made huge print runs.

For instance, Bill Clinton's book was a best seller. It got on best-seller lists even before it went on sale in retail stores (as is often the case) based on its forecast wholesale sales. But six months later the bookstores who were made to buy it and display it will send it straight back to the publisher to be "remaindered," either destroyed for a tax break or sold cheaply somewhere else.

Basically, I would not buy anything from a bestseller list just on that basis. It's no indication of quality, only of the publisher's upfront investment that they want to recoup.

How about the publishing house/company?

Ah. Is that so?!

Then, how about the publishing houses? Should I trust the books that are published by some well-known publishers, say, Penguine?? Sometimes when I was not sure if I should buy a book or not, I would check the publishing house. If it happened to be a Penguine book, it seemed to be easier for me to make the decision. So, what are your opinions on those kinda books? I mean, does a Peguine mark guarantee a good-quality book?? (or CAN it guarantee a one?) Thank you!

You know, watercrystal, it really depends what kind of book you like to read. Penguin tends to pick up classics and would-be classics and put them out in paper, but it's no guarantee that you'll like them.

Picador is another very good paperback press.

One of the most reliable ways for me to tell whether I'd like a book is by reading the first chapter. You can do that on this link to the NY Times book section and at other sites too.

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/fictionn.html

I almost never buy a book nowadays unless I've read and liked the first chapter. But, I will get one out of the library and give it a shot.

I wouldn't avoid books just because they say best seller on them. Sometimes good books end up as best sellers for other reasons, like being mentioned on the Today Show or Oprah. I'm not saying that it isn't media pushing, it still is, but I've read a number of books that have been best sellers and won awards/been finalists.

I like to look at www.booksense.com. It is a network of independent book sellers, which my local shop is part of. They come out with a monthly list of suggested books. I can usually find one or two. Or, I troll the forums here looking for something good I haven't read yet.

I buy too many books to pay for hardback. So, I wait until book comes out in Trade. By then there is usually enough info out there.

These are two different questions:

Would you buy a book because its on a bestseller list? My answer is no.

Would you avoid a book because its on a bestseller list? Again, my answer is no.

Watercrystal asked whether being on such a list is a good indicator of quality. I think it is not. But that doesn't mean good books don't get on them. :)

Back