• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neal Stephenson

Martin

You were spot on with Cryptonomicon, Ell - I'm dead-serious when I say that I honestly believe that this is the best book I have ever read.

I'm so sad the story's over now.

I'll be looking into this Stephenson-feller! Although, I must say, Stephenson's Baroque-Cycle, Quicksilver and The Confusion, don't appeal to me in the slightest. Still gonna check them out, though.

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Beware though, if you like gadgets The Diamond Age will leave you severely depressed about all the cool stuff you don't own and probably never will.

Oooh, gadgets!!

The best bits in Cryptonomicon were the bits where he explained how to make and break certain codes - very cool.

But gadgets sound even better!!

Cheers, Martin
Prophet.gif

Hello!

Hi everyone,

Last couple of books I read - Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor and Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson, both of which I'd recommend. Currently reading Time to Depart by Lindsey Davis which isn't too bad so far.

Bye for now.

Kev

Hey there! Stephenson's Cryptonomicon is my favourite novel, but I haven't read anything else by him - would you recommend Quicksilver to someone who loved Cryptonomicon?

Cheers

Yeah, you'd probably like Quicksilver as its a prequel to Crypto.

Be warned though, that it's TOTALLY different - its a historical novel set in the late 1600's featuring characters like Isaac Newton and Robert Hooke. It can be a bit of a slow boiler at times like Crypto., but its still highly enjoyable with good characters, several parallel plots that delve into Royal intrigue, European politics, science and religion. Can't wait for the follow-ups.

If you haven't read anything else by him though, go for Snow Crash. This is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read. It's a total rollercoaster of a cyberpunk novel (though its "cyberpunk" in comparison to Gibson and Sterling like Star Wars is in comparison to 2001).

Enjoy.

Kev

I've never really been into 'period-novels', so I'm not too sure about his baroque-cycle, but then again, I've never been into 'espionage/war-novels' and I liked (loved) Cryptonomicon.

I might try them.

And I've heard loads of good things about Snowcrash, so I'm gonna have to try that one.

Cheers

I also rather liked The Diamond Age. It's not as "fun" as Snow Crash but there is something about it . . . but, I can't say what it is. It was just one of those books that kind of stayed with me.

I prefered The Diamond Age to Snow Crash. I felt it was a better story, bit less contrived and fewer loose ends. Wasn't that impressed with Snow Crash, to be honest. The technology in The Diamond Age was great fun. I think part of the reason I enjoyed it was that it was such a complete gadget fest.

Yeah, Diamond Age definitely had a more cohesive plot. It's probably not unfair to say that it is an all-around more professionally written book, more polished. Besides, I want one of those nanotech books for myself. Snow Crash, to the extent that it does have a plot, is full of loose ends. But, it is also full of plenty of great and entertaining ideas. It's sort of like the print version of one of those movies you go to see for the special effects.
Either way, I recommend them both.

Well, while I wouldn't argue with any of those points, I'd have to come back to one of the points made earlier - Snow Crash is more fun! Martin - go to yoiur local library and get them both.

Kev

I second the votes for Snow Crash as a highly entertaining Cyberpunk Roller Coaster Ride. Go get it now.
Also liked Cryptonomicon, already own (not yet read) The Diamond Age and will read the Baroque Cycle once it's complete. Quite ingenious writing!

Okay, so I'm really tempted by this guy's books!

What's the Baroque Cycle like for all those who have read it? Who could he be compared to?

What is Crytonim..emxnd (whatever it is!) like?

Back