• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need a Book

Pinecones360

i'm on spring break and i need a book to read because i don't believe that knife of dreams is going to take the whole week. does anyone have some good book suggestions?

ummmm...science fiction, fantasy, humorous, pretty much anything that isn't dickens(my research paper was over dickens and i am very tired of him at the moment). and not too complicated, i don't need to think too much. i am on a break from school after all.

Can you name any books/authors that you have enjoyed previously? It makes it a lot easier to make suggestions :)

I'll take a blind stab and say the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon, starting with Outlander (aka Cross Stitch):

Book Blurb said:
In 1945, Claire Randall is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon in Scotland. Innocently she walks through a stone circle in the Highlands, and finds herself in a violent skirmish taking place in 1743. Suddenly she is a Sassenach, an outlander, in a country torn by war and by clan feuds. A wartime nurse, Claire can deal with the bloody wounds that face her. But it is harder to deal with the knowledge that she is in Jacobite Scotland and the carnage of Culloden is looming. Marooned amid the passion and violence, the superstition, the shifting allegiances and the fervent loyalties, Claire is in danger from Jacobites and Redcoats - and from the shock of her own desire for James Fraser, a gallant and courageous young Scots warrior. Jamie shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire, and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

This is a brilliant book - my favourite in fact :)

okay. john irving, william goldman, douglas adams, voltaire, and random young adult authors that i honestly pick up because of the names or covers. though i still read the jacket to see if i'll actually get it. and i read this book called blue light, but i doubt there's a whole lot of things like it.

Try "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett. It is a good read and a quick read.
Pratchett's humor is unsurpassed.

thank you. what are the outlander books about?

o terry pratchett is an author my lit teacher told me to read. he suggested sphere but i can't ever find it. he looks pretty good though.

I posted the blurb from the back of the first book up in my post, but to be more generalised they're about an English nurse named Claire, who time-travels from 1945 back to Jacobite Scotland in the 1700's, and meets, and falls in love with, a Scottish warrior, named Jamie. From there it just documents here adventures and experiences in trying to get back home and trying to conform to the different way of life in the meantime. It sounds kind of pathetic when I write it out, but it's not sappy love story or anything like that. It's a great book; I heartily recommend it :)

it kind of sounds like a couple of books i read, the sterkarm handshake and a sterkarm kiss. which is about this company who goes back in time, well a parallel universe actually, to capitalize on the realistate opprunities. and one of the main characters, andrea, falls in love with one of the locals, and obvioulsy that's not going to help things.

Off-topic slightly, but I've got The Sterkarm Handshake on my TBR pile, Pinecones. Must try and get it read.

Halo said:
Off-topic slightly, but I've got The Sterkarm Handshake on my TBR pile, Pinecones. Must try and get it read.
it's pretty good and i suggest you read both it and the sequel. just to round things out a bit more.

Back