• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need help finding a new book to read

bigt66

kickbox
My favorite reads have been

Robin Hobb-Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies

George Martin-Song of Fire and Ice

Tad Williams-Dragonbone chair

Steven Erikson-forgot the name of his series

Robert Jordan-Wheel of Time

Tolkein-Lord of The Rings

J. V. Jones-sword of shadows

can't remember some of my other favorites, but from this list if you know anything I might be intrested in I would appreciate any suggestions. Please tell a little about the book to. Thanks for the Help.

hmm... fan of the epics. You might want to try The Swan's War trilogy by Sean Russel. The first book is called the One Kingdom.

Tell me, did you wish there was more action in Robin Hobb's Farseer books?
If yes, they could get a bit boring at times:The Empire Trilogy by Raymond Fiest and Janny Wurts
If no: Juliet Marillier's the Sevenwaters Trilogy.

Originally posted by Oponn
Tell me, did you wish there was more action in Robin Hobb's Farseer books?
If yes, they could get a bit boring at times:The Empire Trilogy by Raymond Fiest and Janny Wurts
If no: Juliet Marillier's the Sevenwaters Trilogy.

Yes, Raymond Fiest's Empire Trilogy is one of the best fantasy works that I have read!

Another writer you may like is called David Gemmel. Personally, I don't like him much. I know that a LOT of people do like him and you may too :) You could give his books a try. He writes epic heroic fantasy books. A lot of them are stand alone novels. I think the best one I have read by him was called Legend and was about a famous old warrior that makes a last stand in a castle that is besieged by an invading army from distant lands.

IF you want action and adventure then I can't recommend HIGHLY enough the book that I am reading right now!!!! It's a book by Poul Anderson and is part of the Fantasy Masterworks collection and is called Broken Sword. It is FANTASTIC! I'm only about 35 pages into the book and already there has been, vikings, raiding, elfs, witches, goblins, trolls, magic spells, gods, Odin, Thor. kidnapping, faery lands and a brewing war between the elf and the fairy! The writing in it is wonderful and I find myself going back and re-reading passages JUST for the pleasure of it.

Some examples:

"Like a rush of wind and a fleeting blur of moon-light he was out of the forest and across the fields."

"Imric the elf-earl rode out one night to see what had happened in the lands of men. It wa a cool spring dark with the moon nearly full, rime glittering on the grass and the stars still hard and bright as in winter. The night was very quite save for the sighing of the wind in the budding branches, and the wood was all sliding shadows and cold white light.

The start of the chapter that I am on now: "The witch dwelt alone in the forest with only her memories for company, and over the years those had fed on her soul and left their castings of hate and vengeance lust. She began to increase her powers, rising spirits out the of earth and speaking with demons of the air. To the black sabbath on the broken she rode, though the sky on a broom stick with her rags streaming in the wind. A monster feasting it was, with ancient hideous shapes chanting about the dark alter, with steaming kettles of blood from which they drank deep."

Fantastic stuff, huh? This book was actually written before Lord Of The Rings. It also features a lot of Nordic mythology in it's pages. A great book and i'm really enjoying it!

Regards
Martin

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already read fiest and liked it. I thing I willcheck out merillier and anderson. I read Gemmel as well. thanks for the help and any other suggestions are welcome.

Back