• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need help with plot

SeoulMan

I wrote a short story several months ago but can't seem to finish it. I need your help. I'll outline it as simply as possible. Here it is:

Boy meets girl.
Girl disappears.
Boy looks for girl based on tidbits of info she gave him.
Boy can't find girl.
Boy accidentally finds girl in the street and, as he approaches her, he discovers she is stalking another man.
Boy follows girl, but does not make contact. Boy is just curious what she's doing.

And then, I'm blocked. My writing group told me that I set it up well, and they're looking forward to reading how it will end. The problem is, even I don't know! LOL!

Any suggestions?

Boy meets girl.
Girl disappears.
Boy can't find girl.
Boy accidentally finds girl in the street and, as he approaches her, he discovers she is stalking another man.
Boy follows girl, but does not make contact. Boy is just curious what she's doing.

These are not suggestions, but I have questions.

When you go back and read the beginning "Boy meets girl" are there any seeds there of the ending?
Why is he "just curious" about what she is doing? This suggests a rather low level of emotional involvement.
Reread the part where "girl disappears." Close your eyes. Visualize the girl. Form images of her in motion. Where is she?
Describe the physical appearance and body language of the man she is stalking in great detail. What does this suggest to you? How do you know she is "stalking"?
Is this a short story or part of a novel?

Change this step. This is weak. Make him care about her. What would his reaction be when he finds out she isn't just interested in another guy, but stalking him? That might help with the rest of the story.

Boy meets girl.
Girl disappears.
Boy can't find girl.
Any suggestions?

The man she stalking is an best friend/cousin of the boy. The man already has a woman or is sick with some disease or is gay. The girl sees the boy with the man. The girl uses the boy to meet the man and the boy knows it (pain stirs). The three goes out to a baseball game/or a restaurant. While the boy goes to restroom, she flirts with the man? The boy witnesses it (another pain) But, it does not work out due to some aforementioned reason or some tragic accident. The girl falls back to the boy after the man is gone or ..., at the end happiness for the boy? Would this be a hackenyed plot?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am sorry for my simplistic outline, to give you so little to go on, but I didn't want to burden you with the details. I liked some of your suggestions. They are definitely mine-worthy. If you have more, please fire away!

I want to know more. :) What kind of relationship do they have at the beginning? Is this a romantic work? If it is why is he curious rather than afraid or very interested. What is his real motivation for looking for the girl? What is the girls motivation for stalking the man? Does the boy know the man? Maybe he does. How does he know she is stalking the man? Is her motivation devious? Revenge maybe.. Will she turn around and ask the boy to help in her motivation? Will he become a pawn in her scheme of revenge or lust? Anyway. Do what you like with my questions. I ask questions when I read. It helps me to infer what will happen.

Back