• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman: Anansi Boys

lies

A couple of months ago, I bought Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys on sight. I thought it was probably going to be a disappointment (the preview I'd read hadn't done much for me), but it was a 3 for 2 kind of thing, so I went for it anyway. The book ended up sitting on my shelf for quite a few months, but yesterday I needed something to read, and stumbled across this one. With a recommendation like "Anansi Boys combines the anarchy of Douglas Adams with a Wodehousian generosity of spirit" [1] I figured I had to give it a chance. I ended up enjoying the read, like many others at B&R, but, like some others at B&R, I wasn't entirely convinced.

It's almost impossible to say something about Anansi Boys without at least mentioning American Gods. Both are similar in many ways, yet so very different in others. When I read American Gods my major complaint was that it seemed to be too full with references, that it was too "epic", so much so that it really started to slow me down. Now, it seems, my major complaint with Anansi Boys is that it is too light. I know that I probably only feel this way because I have American Gods in the back of my mind, but Anansi Boys still seems to be lacking weight (for want of a better word).

But, like I said, aside from a few reservations, I really enjoyed reading the book. After all, the writing was good, the plot was fine, the book hardly had any slow bits and some parts were extremely funny*. What better way to spend your extra hour, right?

* I'd never really thought of Gaiman as a "funny" writer. In fact, I didn't think he could pull it off.

A couple of months ago, I bought Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys on sight. I thought it was probably going to be a disappointment (the preview I'd read hadn't done much for me), but it was a 3 for 2 kind of thing, so I went for it anyway. The book ended up sitting on my shelf for quite a few months, but yesterday I needed something to read, and stumbled across this one. With a recommendation like "Anansi Boys combines the anarchy of Douglas Adams with a Wodehousian generosity of spirit" [1] I figured I had to give it a chance. I ended up enjoying the read, like many others at B&R, but, like some others at B&R, I wasn't entirely convinced.

It's almost impossible to say something about Anansi Boys without at least mentioning American Gods. Both are similar in many ways, yet so very different in others. When I read American Gods my major complaint was that it seemed to be too full with references, that it was too "epic", so much so that it really started to slow me down. Now, it seems, my major complaint with Anansi Boys is that it is too light. I know that I probably only feel this way because I have American Gods in the back of my mind, but Anansi Boys still seems to be lacking weight (for want of a better word).

But, like I said, aside from a few reservations, I really enjoyed reading the book. After all, the writing was good, the plot was fine, the book hardly had any slow bits and some parts were extremely funny*. What better way to spend your extra hour, right?

* I'd never really thought of Gaiman as a "funny" writer. In fact, I didn't think he could pull it off.
lies - this coming from a Sandman fan? :) I reckon someone who had an Eblis O'Shaughnessy sig would like it better...

But my most important question really is: did you really finish Anansi Boys in one hour (you know, since you said "What better way to spend your extra hour, right?")

ds

I kinda went off Gaiman for a while I think (should I or should I not blame that on American Gods?), and while I didn't dislike Anansi Boys, it just wasn't love at first sight all over again (like Sandman was, or Neverwhere, or even, more recently 1602). Maybe if you'd take American Gods and Anansi Boys, put them together and shake (not stir) them, I'd be smitten again?

(And no, I didn't finish the book in one hour--more like six or something. But taking into account the extra hour gained through daylight saving time... Yeah, you're right. Not funny at all! :eek:)

I enjoyed this book, thought it was quite amusing at times and the characters were well created :D

I think Neverwhere is a slightly better story though

"Anansi Boys" was my first Gaiman non-graphic novel... err.. novel.
I thought it was pretty good. It was funny. It also reminded me of Hitchhiker's Guide.

It's still the only Gaiman novel (non-graphic :p ) that I've read. So I can't really compare it to any of his other works. But I am impressed and I was very entertained.

7.5 out of 10? Maybe.

I've never been "blown away" by the Gaiman books I've read. But having said that, I thought they were more than moderately enjoyable and were a light, entertaining read. As such, I'm taking Anansi Boys with me on a trip to read at the airport, plane, etc. and will try to remember and come back to let you (ds) know what I thnk. ;)

I've not bought Anansi Boys. I keep waiting for a warehouse sale to get it, but when one came along, I spent all my money on even cheaper books, until my budget ran out for it.

But I have visualized it sitting on my shelf, and when I do, it usually happens. :)

Rune, I enjoyed Neverwhere tremendously. I did think it will work better as a graphic novel though, but I enjoyed it very much nonetheless.

ds

Back