• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Never Ending Book Titles: Words in Common

SuperReaderGirl

Forum Owner
Staff member
We have a thread running like this for song titles started by abecedarian, and I thought it might be fun to do it with books. :) It's just for fun but also gives us exposure to book titles we may have not seen before and may find interesting.

Here's the general idea:

Look at the previous post, and choose a book title with at least one word in common with the previous post.
Example:
Post #1: A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
Post #2: A Knight's Tale - Edward John Crockett

Try to keep the words exact, instead of deviations.

To kick things off, we have a title suggested by my 10-year-old (it's what she's currently reading):

Tomorrow Girls: With the Enemy - Eva Gray

Well.....if you did happen to post that particular title, an answering title could be The Cruelest Night by Christopher Dobson.
That is if you did post said title. o_O

If we stick with playing the game with exact words, I could probably stymie this whole thing by naming Louise Penny's The Cruelest Month, so I won't. :p
Well.....if you did happen to post that particular title, an answering title could be The Cruelest Night by Christopher Dobson.
That is if you did post said title. o_O
I had one in mind too! ;) .....Shall we just pretend Maine played her title?

You guys are good with your Cruelest titles! But did we go astray above? The underlined word is the one the next person isn't supposed to use. So, after SRG's The Night Circus, the next book should have Circus in the title, not Night. In which case, I pick:

Curious George Goes to the Circus

(Can we add strikeout text as an option up there with bold, italic and underline? That would make the forbidden word more clear than underlining it.)

You guys are good with your Cruelest titles! But did we go astray above? The underlined word is the one the next person isn't supposed to use. So, after SRG's The Night Circus, the next book should have Circus in the title, not Night. In which case, I pick:

(Can we add strikeout text as an option up there with bold, italic and underline? That would make the forbidden word more clear than underlining it.)
Ooooh. That makes it more complicated! :) I just thought the underlined word showed which word the new title had in common with the previous post.... If someone picks a one word title, you'd kind of have to duplicate......
A Curious Man: The Life of Robert Ripley - Icant Remeberwho.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Last edited:

Arrrggggg! and EEK!, ok.......

I'd like to say The Sea by John Banville.....but won't......lol that would really put a spanner in the works. :D

So, I'll say........The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens.

Cool! Have we already hit a variation of Godwin's Law?

The Nazi and the Psychiatrist: Hermann Göring, Dr. Douglas M. Kelley, and a Fatal Meeting of the Minds at the End of WWII, by Jack El-Hai

Cool! Have we already hit a variation of Godwin's Law?

The Nazi and the Psychiatrist: Hermann Göring, Dr. Douglas M. Kelley, and a Fatal Meeting of the Minds at the End of WWII, by Jack El-Hai

Oh, was there a debate? Shall I throw down my keyboard? :D

Or.....Fatal Vision by by Joe McGinniss

Back