• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neverwhere

Ashlea

I realize that the TV miniseries came first, but I read the book first, so if feels like an adaption.

This is my first foray into modern BBC TV, other than the odd episode of Coupling. Are all BBC production values this, um, underfunded?

I'm hoping that the forthcoming Doctor Who series won't be made as cheaply!

But in answer to your question, rarely are BBC productions termed lavish. Special effects are almost unknown :). I didn't think the Neverwhere series was that bad, but it's true I watched it a while ago and might be looking back with somewhat rose-tinted spectacles.

The money goes into the mainstream productions. The smaller branches get what's left. The annoying thing is that the BBC could make so much more money to develop its products if it started advertising and ditched it's unmentioned tag as state television. I've never seen the Neverwhere series - never heard of it, to be fair - although I got bored with the book.

I lived and worked in Fulham in London back when I first read this, and used to travel via Earls Court a lot, and just loved reading this book on the tube, thinking on the different stops and stations and meta-verse hidden underneath London's Underground. It really is such a rich and gorgeously imagined book. If you haven't already, do check it out folks.

Back