• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Member in need of help

Evans

Ok so I apologize if this post is considered spam. If it is please feel free to delete it, ban me or whatever else needs to be done.

The only reason I am coming to you guys is because I have read the posts here and have faith in the members. I am a highly motivated college student, very highly motivated and so i was under the impression everyone was like me for a long time. Roughly one month ago I set out to create a forum designed to connect students outside of the classroom and across the globe and contacted many schools and over 24,000 students. Out of that maybe 30 people joined and less than half post.

So why am I here? I am not here to steal members.

I wish to see the site grow into something students in the future can use and fall back on for knowledge and experience but of course developing a site is never so easy. I am planning to add a book review section and was wondering if anyone could come post just once a book review or an informational article.

>The Site<

I apologize in advance for anything I may have done wrong, which may just be everything. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
That is great, the site treats alumni no differently. A young man or woman can only have so much experience whereas you who has long since graduated may contain a wealth of it.

Last edited:
:rofl we aren't SO evil as all that - we only ban genuine spammers, but this does definitely fall into 'self promotion' however.

Edit:

Took a look at the site - it seems to me you have left out some aspects of college life that might be important not to leave out - support for homesickness, loneliness, not fitting in, hazing, coping with your room mate, failing subjects - that kind of stuff?

Last edited:
I wish you luck, I know some folks around here are great at reviews, but I am no good at them, I am more of a hobby reader. I read a lot and across all genres so I do better with help searching for books, if you are looking for something set in a certain place or era for instance, or something similar to another book.

I cannot seem to quote over my phone but apart from the not fitting in I planned on grouping those into another category with the potential to expand later on. It's hard to believe I did not think of that first topic, you have some good ideas.

Hey Ronny I am not sure if you have read these books as they are more fantasy than anything but I would love to hear your suggestions. I prefer to read books that have some kind of supernatural, magical or mythical element among other things. Those seem to have been the most likeable so far but I am willing to try other books you suggest off my list.

forgive all the grammatical errors I cannot see or type properly on this "smart phone"

top three seriess:
eragon and its sequels
hunger games
game of thrones

wanted to try murder mystery books as well

I give up on typing through my phone for a while, will reply after work. thanks.

For series those are 3 of my favorites :), another one of my favorites is, Otherland, series by Tad Williams -
Otherland is a science fiction tetralogy written by Tad Williams and published between 1996 and 2001. The story is set on Earth near the end of the 21st century, probably between 2082 and 2089 (one of the characters mentions being born in the early 30's, having a kid in her forties, and the story is set slightly more than twelve years after that), in a world in which technology has advanced somewhat beyond the present. The most notable advancement is the widespread availability of full-immersion virtual reality installations, which allow people from all walks of life to access an online world, called simply the Net. Tad Williams weaves an intricate plot spanning four thick volumes and creates a picture of a future society where virtual worlds are fully integrated into everyday life.

His proposed ability to immerse oneself fully in a simulation gives him a great deal of artistic freedom, and the story winds through alternate interpretations of many classical literary works such as Through the Looking-Glass, The Odyssey and The Iliad, The War of the Worlds, and The Wizard of Oz, which are available as entertainment simulations within the series. According to Orlando Gardiner, one of the main characters in the books who spent most of his teenage years in this world's equivalent to MMORPGs based upon J. R. R. Tolkien's fiction, the overall series's events also bear a strong resemblance to The Lord of the Rings.

Oh and, Icewind Dale Trilogy, by R.A. Salvatore.
Icewind Dale. Windswept passes and forbidding glaciers stand at the top of the world. Below them, in the cold valleys, an evil force broods: the magic of Crenshinibon, the crystal shard.
Now dwarf, barbarian, and drow elf join to battle this evil. Tempered in the furnace of struggle, they form an unbreakable friendship.
A legend is born.
For the first time in one volume, here is "New York Times" bestselling author R.A. Salvatore's adventure that introduced Drizzt Do'Urden, the heroic dark elf, one of the most beloved characters in fantasy literature.

And for stand alone books I am currently reading through a few by Graham Joyce, and he does a good job of writing stories with a magical, sometimes sinister touch to them. Right now I am reading, Dark Sister.
Maggie and Alex have their problems. their old, drafty house, for one thing. Their stressed-out marriage, for another.

Then one day, uncovering and cleaning the house's original fireplace, they discover a dead blackbird...and an old handwritten diary full of herbal lore.

Maggie takes an interest in the diary. Soon, with the help of her friends Ash, and herbalist,and Old Liz, and old woman with a deep knowledge of ancient ways, Maggie tried to find her way in a world of power and magic. But Maggie's searching has awakened her Dark Sister, a malevolent force that threatens her hold on her family and her sanity.

Last edited:
I will be sure to give those books a look when I am done with the series I am currently on. A few years ago for whatever reason I stopped in the second book of The Keys to the Kingdom and started to reread the series ( 7 books ) a few days ago; they are only about 250 pages each and I am blazing through. Those books will be on the top of the list to check for my immediate follow up, I do not like to have a period of time where no book is in my possession( kindle ).

If you enjoyed the three series mentioned before that series should interest you somewhat.

Now you said you do better with searching for books so I have a nice little challenge for you. I remember almost absolutely nothing about this book except it was similar to The Keys to the Kingdom, The Earthsea Cycle, and The Inheritance Cycle.

It had the typical regular human boy ( or girl? ) and they get visited by some sort of supernatural/magical character and go to a different world.

It had a black cover with pink lettering and was a duology or trilogy that followed the same cover design. At least I am 93% sure it was like that. I have devoted many days to the search of that book and it may be that I just completely forgot what it looks like because I was unable to find it.

I am the type of person that may forget something completely for years but if I see the name or cover it will all come back.

Last edited:
Maybe, A Wrinkle in Time (The Time Quintet), by Madeleine L. Engle? It did have 2 covers with pink writing.

It was a dark and stormy night; Meg Murry, her small brother Charles Wallace, and her mother had come down to the kitchen for a midnight snack when they were upset by the arrival of a most disturbing stranger.

"Wild nights are my glory," the unearthly stranger told them. "I just got caught in a downdraft and blown off course. Let me be on my way. Speaking of way, by the way, there is such a thing as a tesseract".

Meg's father had been experimenting with this fifth dimension of time travel when he mysteriously disappeared. Now the time has come for Meg, her friend Calvin, and Charles Wallace to rescue him. But can they outwit the forces of evil they will encounter on their heart-stopping journey through space?

Fourteen-year-old Meg Murry's classmates and teachers see her as a troublesome student. Her family knows that she is emotionally immature but also see her as capable of great things. The family includes her beautiful scientist mother; her mysteriously absent scientist father; her athletic 10-year-old twin brothers, Sandy and Dennys; and her five year-old brother Charles Wallace Murry, a super-genius who can sometimes read Meg's mind.

The book begins with the line "It was a dark and stormy night," an allusion to the opening words in Edward George Bulwer-Lytton's 1830 novel Paul Clifford. Unable to sleep during a thunderstorm, Meg descends from her attic room to find Charles Wallace sitting at the table drinking milk and eating bread and jam. They are then joined by their mother, and are visited by their new eccentric neighbor, Mrs Whatsit. In the course of conversation, Mrs Whatsit casually mentions there is such a thing as a tesseract, which causes Mrs. Murry to almost faint.

The next morning, Meg discovers the term refers to a scientific concept her father was working on before his mysterious disappearance. The following afternoon, Meg and Charles Wallace encounter Meg's schoolmate, Calvin O'Keefe, a high-school junior who, although he is a "big man on campus", considers himself a misfit as well. They then go to visit an old haunted house near town which Charles Wallace already knows is the home of Mrs Whatsit. There they encounter a companion of Mrs Whatsit, the equally strange Mrs Who. She promises that she and her friends will help Meg find and rescue her father. A budding love interest develops between Meg and Calvin. In the evening, Charles Wallace declares it is time for them to go on their mission to save their father. This is accompanied by the appearance of the third member of the "Mrs W's", Mrs Which, who appears to materialize out of nothing.

Mrs Whatsit, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which turn out to be supernatural beings who transport Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin O'Keefe through the universe by means of tesseract, a fourth-dimensional phenomenon explained as being similar to folding the fabric of space and time. Their first stop is the planet Uriel, a Utopian world filled with joyous, Centaur-like beings who live always in a state of light and love. Mrs Whatsit herself shows that she, Mrs Who, and Mrs Which are all these centaur-like creatures in disguise as humans. There the "Mrs Ws" reveal to the children that the universe is under attack from an evil being who appears as a large dark cloud called The Black Thing, which is essentially the personification of evil. The children are then taken elsewhere to visit a woman who is a kind of medium (the "Happy Medium") with a crystal ball. In it, they see that Earth is partially covered by the darkness, although great religious figures, philosophers, and artists have been fighting against it. Mrs Whatsit is revealed to be a former star who exploded in an act of self-sacrifice to fight the darkness.

The children then travel to the dark planet of Camazotz which is entirely dominated by the Black Thing. Meg's father is trapped there. They find that all the inhabitants behave in a mechanistic way and seem to be all under the control of a single mind. At the planet's central headquarters (described as CENTRAL Central Intelligence) they discover a red-eyed man with telepathic abilities who can cast a hypnotic spell over their minds. He claims to know the whereabouts of their father. Charles Wallace deliberately looks into the red eyes of the man allowing himself to be taken over by the mind controlling the planet in order to find their father. Under its influence, he takes Meg and Calvin to the place where Dr. Murry is being held prisoner because he would not succumb to the group mind. The planet turns out to be controlled by an evil disembodied brain with powerful telepathic abilities, which the inhabitants of Camazotz call "IT". Charles Wallace takes them to the place where IT is held, and in such close proximity to IT, are threatened by a possible telepathic takeover of their minds. To escape, Dr. Murry "tessers" Calvin, Meg and himself away from Camazotz, but Charles Wallace is left behind, still under the influence of IT. The experience of tessering through The Black Thing nearly kills Meg, because Mr. Murry does not know how to protect her from the Black Thing which surrounds the planet. When they arrive on the neighboring planet of Ixchel, Meg is nearly frozen and paralyzed. Calvin and the Murrys are discovered by the planet's inhabitants: large, sightless "beasts" with tentacles and four arms who prove both wise and gentle. Meg's paralysis is cured under the care of one inhabitant, whom Meg nicknames "Aunt Beast".

When the trio of Whatsit, Who, and Which arrive, they charge Meg with rescuing Charles Wallace from IT. They each give her gifts. Mrs Whatsit gives Meg her love. Mrs Who quotes to Meg a passage from the Bible about God choosing the foolish of the world to confound the wise, and the weak to confound the strong. Mrs Which tells Meg that she has one thing that IT does not have. Upon arriving at the building where IT is housed, Charles Wallace is still there under IT's influence. Meg realizes that the one thing she has that IT does not is love. She focuses all her love at Charles Wallace and is able to free him from IT's control. Mrs Whatsit tessers the Murrys and Calvin back to Earth, where they are reunited with Mrs. Murry and the twins.

ai129.photobucket.com_albums_p239_chuckmuck_Unknown_1.jpeg
ai129.photobucket.com_albums_p239_chuckmuck_images.jpeg

Sadly that is not it, I should have been a little bit more clear; in my memories the book was pitch black with pink lettering. The names of the book may have only been one short word. Thank you for trying however.

That is tricky, I can't think of any with an all black cover, but you never know when books will pop up again, so I am sure you will come across it again :)

Just finished my beautiful book by Garth Nix : ), time to look into these suggestions.

Do you guys feel as if my website is a waste of time ( for college students and myself )?

Just finished my beautiful book by Garth Nix : ), time to look into these suggestions.

Do you guys feel as if my website is a waste of time ( for college students and myself )?

I don't think any one but you should answer that question. Look at the site. Do you have active members? Are they getting something out of being there? Are you offering something of value? If the answers are yes - then you have your answer.

Back