• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Non-Fiction Authors Who Write About Many Topics

kenhthoisu

I can think of a few authors who don't stick to one particular subject, and I think this makes them really interesting and worth following. I guess I admire them because their interests are so wide-ranging and they seem to be able to make any topic interesting.

Bill Bryson has done a lot of writing about travel, of course, but he's also delved into language (Bryson's Dictionary of Troublesome Words, Mother Tongue and Made in America), history (At Home, One Summer), science (A Short History of Nearly Everything) and biography (Shakespeare).

Erik Larson has written about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer (The Devil in the White City), the first American ambassador to Nazi Germany (In the Garden of Beasts), deadly hurricanes (Isaac's Storm) and the sinking of the Lusitania (Dead Wake), among others.

Simon Winchester has long interested me too. I haven't read any of his books yet, but I have many of them on my TBR pile, including Atlantic, Krakatoa, The Map That Changed the World, The Men Who United the States and The Surgeon of Crowthorne (about madness and the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary).

Lastly, Australia's Peter FitzSimons writes about a wide range of subjects relating to Australia, including history (Batavia, Eureka), war (Kokoda, Tobruk, Gallipoli) and biography (Ned Kelly, Mawson, Charles Kingsford Smith).

What other authors can you recommend who write about a broad and interesting range of topics?

My favorite types of Books :) I read everything Bill Bryson, Erik Larson and Simon Winchester write and there's 3 other authors I really like for these kind of books -

A.J. Jacobs has, The Know It All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Man in the World, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible, Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection, and, The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment.

Mary Roach has, Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Bonk: the Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, Packing for Mars: the Curious Science of Life in the Void, Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife, Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal.

Sam Kean has, The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World From the Periodic Table of Elements, The Violinist's Thumb: And Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by Our Genetic Code, and The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons: the history of the Human Brain as Revealed by True Stories of Trauma, Madness, and Recovery.

Back