• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nora Roberts

Is anyone like me love Nora Roberts books, just finished 'Blue Smoke', now reading 'Sanctuary'

What are your favourite books by Nora Roberts?

I was going to pick up one of her books once, a recent paperback about a family, (started with M I think?), but it appeared to be part of a series so I didn't get it.

This should probably be in the Author Discussion forum, no?

Picked up Northern Lights today on the rack at the grocery store. Usually the grocery store has recent paperbacks, but this one looks like it's from 04. Maybe it's late because it was a movie? This is a magnum opus, 656 pages, I paused before committing to reading it. It will be my first Nora Robers book. I've enjoyed the first few pages!

(BTW, I recently finished reading ~Southern Lights~ by Danielle Steel.)

I have not read 'Northern Lights', it is on my list to purchase.

Other good books by her are Sanctuary, High Noon, River's End, Black Hills, just some of a few, they have thriller, suspense and romance in them books.

I love her books, that is all I am reading at the moment, I am now on 'The Stanislaski Brothers', which is very good also. I have not read any of the trilogys as yet, but I have one set at home to read, which supposed to be brilliant 'Three Sisters Trilogy'

Up until about a year ago, I did not read fiction. However, I started reading novels because I was attempting to write one of my own and my literary gears were a little rusty. I've read about fifiteen different authors over the last year or so, and a couple of them emerged as favorites.

Well, I just finished Northern Lights, and now I have just one absolute favorite. I have never been drawn into a story like I have with this one. Nora Robert's attention to detail takes you out of this world completely and brings you into her story, completely! Usually, when an author tries to bring you into the story with small detail, it's boring. Not in Roberts' case.

This book would probably be placed in the chick lit or the romance section of a book store, and if it was, a lot of people would miss out on a good mystery suspense thriller. It's got it's romance in it all right, actually a little ~too~ steamy for me, but it was even more thrilling that Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. If you liked GWTDT, you will LOVE Northern Lights.

This story takes place in a small town in Alaska. One of the characters is an aging woman who owns a lodge. I would imagine that the main character trait that most readers would take from her is her promiscuity, bedding tourists and locals in the town at her whim. However, she's getting older, noticing a few wrinkles in the mirror. There has been a man living in the town for many years who is deeply in love with her, and while they do occaisonally sleep together, she doesn't return his love beyond the physical interaction. His love is strong enough for her that he silently and patiently waits for her to come around. After all those years of what he percieved to be unreturned love, he makes a decision that he is going to leave Alaska forever. He is a teacher at the school, and the small town needs him there, but he has made up his mind to leave none the less.

An event in the woman's life makes her realize that she does indeed love him, and she goes to him to beg him not to leave. She talks about her sex life, her life in Alaska, and getting older. It's the most touching passage of words I have ever read. Admittedly, I'm a crybaby, (shit, I cried during the movie Planes, Trains and Autombiles!), but if this doesn't move you, you have a heart of stone. I won't tell you what was decided, you'll have to read it to find out.

So anyway, I've got a new favorite author!

As is my tradition after reading a novel, I went to Amazon to check the reviews. There are 52 five star reviews and 8 one star reviews. Half of the one star reviews didn't even make sense, as if they didn't read the book. Two of them in fact, admitted that they didn't read the whole book. One of them only made it 3 pages in before rushing to Amazon to give a one star review.

Ugh. The movie review for Northern Lights confirms what I already thought - the movie is very different than the book. I won't bother with the movie, it won't ruin what I have read.

Back