• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

October Suggestions

Darren

Seems like September's book created some interesting discussion :)

Any thoughts for October?

Maybe we should decide the next few months to give people a chance to get hold of a copy and read up.

What about "A prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving?

I've never read any of his books and I heard this one was the one to start with...

I've never read any of his either so it would be a good choice for me.

I'd like to suggest Lord of the Rings for maybe November (or is that too close to the release of the new film?).

Maybe a Tom Clancy novel?

Any other suggestions for the next few months reads?

Actually, The Lord of the Rings might be a great suggestion because of the release of the movie. Might as well borrow some of the hype. Or you could do Fellowship of the Ring one month (They are supposed to be releasing a special edition DVD of the movie soon) and The Two Towers the next. :D

I agree. Maybe we could even go for a Tolkien-overdose (if that's even possible) and have a Tolkien-trimester.

Prolixic's right about borrowing some of the hype. I was intending on reading The Two Towers before the release of the movie anyway (and re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring while I was at it), so this would be a great solution.

And Darren, you're right about some people (well, me, for one) not having enough time to find a copy of the book of the month soon enough. I try to find a copy of it in English, but our library is really small, and I don't always have the time to go to the city (nor do I have enough money to get the book at a book-store).

I've never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy (though I saw the 1st movie and liked it) but I was told if I wanted to read it I should read the Hobbit first? Is it better to read the Hobbit first or not necessary? Should the Hobbit be the first of the Tolkien books of the month?

Good point Marie, I can't imagine reading the Lord of the Rings without reading The Hobbit. It's a good read too so even if a four-month Tolkien binge gave everyone the creeping horrors it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to fit it and the Fellowship of the Ring into a person's reading schedule before The Two Towers came up as a selection.

(I don't know, I love the whole thing so its pretty easy for me to read it--guess it depends on the person.)

Should we count LOTR as one book, or as three individual books (will affect how it's added to the library too)?

I've never heard about "the Silmarillion", how does it fit in the LOTR series?

After the LOTR series, we could read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I've been meaning to read them for a while...

That would be real long-term planning ;) I suppose that way everybody would have time to get hold of their copies :)

Sounds OK by me. I can easily script up a page with all our upcoming reads on for people to look at.

If I remember correctly its like a companion piece to LOTR. The Silmarillion takes place in the Middle Earth of LOTR but way before the Hobbit. Help me out here lies --its like the Genesis of Middle Earth, bookwise, right? Sauron's master is fought and destroyed in it and some other great historical issues in Middle Earth are described. I think it also sets up the romance between Aragorn and Arwen in LOTR. Its a great read like all of Tolkien's stuff AND if you like LOTRyou will probably likeThe Silmarillion. It would fit right in with any discussion of the Lord of the Rings, to be sure.

Originally posted by Prolixic
If I remember correctly its like a companion piece to LOTR. The Silmarillion takes place in the Middle Earth of LOTR but way before the Hobbit. Help me out here lies --its like the Genesis of Middle Earth, bookwise, right? Sauron's master is fought and destroyed in it and some other great historical issues in Middle Earth are described. I think it also sets up the romance between Aragorn and Arwen in LOTR. Its a great read like all of Tolkien's stuff AND if you like LOTRyou will probably likeThe Silmarillion. It would fit right in with any discussion of the Lord of the Rings, to be sure.
You don't need the help, you're doing just fine...

This is what the cover of the book says:
Tolkien's epic legendary precursor to The Lord of the Rings

The Silmarilli were three perfect jewels, fashioned by Fëanor, most gifted of the Elves. When the first Dark Lord, Morgoth, stole the jewels for his own ends, Fänor and his kindred took up arms and waged a long and terrible war to recover them. This is the story of their rebellion against the gods and the history of the heroic Fist Age of Middle-Earth

Originally posted by Marie
After the LOTR series, we could read Stephen King's Dark Tower series, I've been meaning to read them for a while...

That would be real long-term planning ;) I suppose that way everybody would have time to get hold of their copies :)
Ooh, I'd like that. The only problem I see is that maybe not all the members like fantasy all that much. I know there are a lot of fantasy-lovers on this board, but still... Can't just ignore those that like other genres better, can we? (well, if we do a poll, we'll probably end up doing just that anyway)

Thanks a lot, Prolixic and Lies. I've got a much better idea now. :) I personally have no objection in reading all of them in the next months...

The only problem I see is that maybe not all the members like fantasy all that much. I know there are a lot of fantasy-lovers on this board, but still... Can't just ignore those that like other genres better, can we? (well, if we do a poll, we'll probably end up doing just that anyway)

I'm almost completely ignorant about fantasy (though I would have read The Dark Tower anyway since I've read almost everything else King has written). All these fantasy books being book of the month will "force" me to read them when I would have endlessly postponed otherwise... That's the fun of it: discover something new:)

So, we could have:-

October - The Hobbit
November - LOTR
December - The Silmarillion
January - Dark Tower 1 (I think it's called The Gunslinger?)

We could see how people like the Dark Tower book, and maybe carry on the series discussions, but choose a different book for February to allow people who don't like fantasy as much a chance?

What do people think?

The three volumes of LOTR in the same month? It's going to be a very busy month :(
Maybe we could have a poll to see if people are willing to read the 3 in the same month?

Yeah, I suppose that is a lot. We could split them into their three volumes and spread them over three months.

Nov for FOTR, Dec for TT and Jan for ROTK.
Silmarillion in Feb and Dark Tower 1 in March?

Would't it be better to read Tolkien in this order:
  1. The Silmarillion
  2. The Hobbit
  3. The Fellowship of the Ring
  4. The Two Towers
  5. The Return of the King

And then, the Dark Tower series:

1. The Gunslinger (March)
2. The Drawing of the Three (April)
3. The Waste Lands (May)
4. Wizard and Glass (June)

Shouldn't volume 5 be published by then? :)

Marie wrote:
The three volumes of LOTR in the same month? It's going to be a very busy month

Can't think of a better way to visit Middle Earth. That way when we go to discuss it we will still be footsore and weary from the road that goes on forever with the hair on our feet badly in need of brushing.

I've never read the Dark Tower series, or much of Stephen King's stuff. I know he's a very gifted writer though--just never got around to him. Sounds like a good idea though unless someone besides me and Marie and lies and Darren wants to step up to the plate.;)

Back