• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Old Home Remedies?

Ruzi

I have never liked to take medicine, I don't want to feel like I need to..but everyone catches a cold or doesn't feel well every now and again...My throat has been so dry and sore, I almost can't talk and couldn't sleep last night. Does anyone know of something I could make, eat or drink to at least help keep from losing my voice?
Please also use this thread to talk about other things that have helped you as far as home remedies go, it doesn't have to be related to sore throats, but, any ideas would be nice...

For sore throats: Honey, lemon tea. Take a nice hot cup of tea, squeeze of lemon, and a good dollop of honey. Very soothing.

Otherwise, for common colds, I swear by echinacea at the first sign of a cold along with vitamin C. The trick is to take it as soon as you feel the tell-tale tickle in the throat or nose. Don't wait 'til you have a full-blown cold. I've averted many colds this way, or at least shortened them.

When you're already sick: Good ol' chicken soup.

When you feel that you're about to have a cold, then garlic is a good remedy to avoid having it. It's very effective, but there is unfortunately a huge problem with the smell. More pleasant is drinking a hot raspberry tea.
I also heard that putting slices of onion on your throat is helpful. But that is rather troublesome, and you have to stay at home while using it.

This will sound yucky -- and tastes worse! -- but it works better than anything I've ever found.
1/2 Clorox & 1/2 water: gargle.
Also clears up everything from trench mouth to chancre, but it can really burn on some of them.
DON'T swallow it. It probably wouldn't do any real harm, but I imagine it would upset your stomach.

Allow the virus to take on it's full effect, then try to relax while your familly pampers you back to health. Then get a medical certificate to wave under your bosses nose when they ask where you've been for the past week.

Try cutting a lemon, grate some fresh ginger and put them it a jug. Add a couple of tablespoons of honey. Put 300mls of boiling water into the jug with the lemon, honey and ginger. Leave to cool and then strain. You can then have about half a cup at a time. I like to heat it slightly before drinking. I hope this helps.

Originally posted by cdm
This will sound yucky -- and tastes worse! -- but it works better than anything I've ever found.
1/2 Clorox & 1/2 water: gargle.
Also clears up everything from trench mouth to chancre, but it can really burn on some of them.
DON'T swallow it. It probably wouldn't do any real harm, but I imagine it would upset your stomach.

I really hope you are joking. Sounds like it could kill you.

-Niles

No joke, and Calcium hypochlorite (Clorox) is the same chemical used to "chlorinate" water for eighty years or so. Clorox is about 5% now, I bellieve. It's a strong oxidizer, and is effective against many viruses and almost all bacteria.

If you're allergic to chlorine, don't try it, of course. I'm not saying to make up a quart, but about 1/2 ounce for a gargle is very effective. Just don't swallow it -- or any other mouthwash.

Can't say it leaves you with a pleasant breath! NO ONE is going to want to kiss you for awhile, but they shouldn't if you have a sore throat, anyhow.

Clorox is a dangerous substance whether it is diluted or not. I worry for you and everyone who takes your previous message seriously.

If you put something in your mouth that if swallowed will be harmful, then you probably should not put it in your mouth to begin with.

-Niles

You should not swallow any mouthwash. Clorox is no more dangerous than most of them if used properly, and saying that about dilution seems strange, seeing as common table salt is toxic in high concentration. Almost any medicine, certainly any wide-spectrum antibiotic, is deadly if not diluted to very low concentration. Carbon dioxide is deadly if concentrated, but your heart will stop pumping if there is none present.
The object is to kill germs and/or viruses. Drinking distilled water (which will drown you if too much is ingested) ain't gonna cut it.

Lysine--amino acid supplement. One a day keeps cold sores away. 4-5 a day makes cold sores go away. I also find it helpful for colds.

L-lysine is something I've taken daily (500mg) since the studies that proved its effectiveness against herpes cold sores in 1996. It is very effective if you limit other amino acids, such as cysteine. For my indicidual case, nuts and cheese will render l-lysine inneffective, so I avoid them. L-lysine is effective only against herpes type 1, not against colds per se. Vitamin C does give you resistance if taken regularly, but NOT in high dosages. 500 mg per day seems effective. If you have a cold, 1000 mg a day, max. Do NOT take that much on a regular basis, because too much of those types of acids can be processed into things that can attack the kidneys with prolonged usage.

Back