• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Oliver

RainbowGurl

Yes, some may call me sad for likeing this film. I'm hopeing to read the book pretty soon. My mum has read it to me when I was younger but I don't really remember it at all well lol. Has anyone else watched the film or read the book? What did you think of them?

You're referring, I believe, to "Oliver!" the musical adaptation of Dickens' Oliver Twist. Both are very well worth your time and have their own rewards. Carol Reed's movie version of the musical is wonderful on many levels, while there is nothing quite like plowing through Charles Dickens! :eek: :rolleyes: The music and humor of the play dampen the social criticism that Dickens rallied in his novel, but it still works and effectively shows us what it was like in those Victorian times. Enjoy!

Are you talking about Dickens' story or the sequel to Love Story (wasn't that called Oliver and made into a film and about some tragic deal with a preppy guy?)

The musical Oliver!, based on Dickens' Oliver Twist, Well, saw that one year both on the way to England and on the way home. AARRRRRGGGHHH. If it wasn't for those 19 little bottles of Drambuie I would have bowled my head down the aisle. Je suisse tres sportif!

I saw Oliver! a dozen or so times when I was about ten years old. That was a good one. I'd be tempted to read Oliver Twist, though I recently tried reading Hard Times and couldn't get into it. I'm either getting burnout or it just isn't that great a book.

"You've gotta pick a pocket or twoooooooo..."

I love that song "who will buy this wonderful morning" - I could watch that scene over and over. I thought I was the only saddo who liked the film - guess I'm in good company!

Back