• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

On the Kindle...

Will

I just received my Kindle, and after an hour or so of checking it out my initial impressions:

1) I very much like the font, text-size, line-height and margin options. These really make reading a pleasure.

2) The wireless is a joy to use and loading/reading books compared to my previous device, a Sony PRS300, a pleasurable experience.

3) The text-to-speech is very good. I don't know why they don't push this more - for blind/poor-sighted or even regular users this is a great option the technology for which can only improve. (I know why they don't push this more - audible.com etc. - but still, they should).

4) The keyboard is a good idea - I had doubts about it, but having seen it, I do see the benefit.

5) I don't like the page change button locations at all. They should be position lower, or on the rear. This is a bit of an annoyance, my only one with the device really, but it's not so minor as to be easily ignored. I am sure I will get used to it (I hope).

Looking forward to easily buying and reading eBooks in future...

Will-Your findings were mine as well. I also didn't like the page change location, or at least, they could've put another set of buttons at the top and bottom of it so that people who like to hold id crosswise could change the page easier. I am thrilled with the kindle, I use it a lot and quite frankly, it feels weird to read a (gasp!) pulp book.:whistling:

If you had the first generation Kindle, you wouldn't complain about the button position. I now have third generation and it's a hundred times better than the first.
Edit to add: I'd like to correct that the third generation is my son's Kindle, not mine

Okay, a day or so on. I've found that when reading I really do 'soak' up the text more. I am not sure if this is because I am paying more attention to the font details/eink and general newness of the device as a whole, but for example, reading Dracula at the moment I am really finding it a pleasure to read. No bulky pages, uncomfortable text crammed onto a page (and I don't have the font that large either).

Still not liking the page turn buttons though, at all. They're kind of a gripe I had hoped would pass by now, but hasn't.

5) I don't like the page change button locations at all. They should be position lower, or on the rear. This is a bit of an annoyance, my only one with the device really, but it's not so minor as to be easily ignored. I am sure I will get used to it (I hope).
I kept pushing the bottom button on the left side to flip backwards, but it didn't work. But I got used to it.

If the page turning buttons are on the rear, I would have to put holes on my Kindle cover. You'll get used to it.

I kept pushing the bottom button on the left side to flip backwards, but it didn't work. But I got used to it.

If the page turning buttons are on the rear, I would have to put holes on my Kindle cover. You'll get used to it.

I was exactly the same. A few times I caught myself reading on the device and thinking 'what on earth...' as I've actually skipped ahead instead of backward, but now being used to it, it makes sense, and will be great for those crowded tube journeys when only one hand is available to turn pages.

I am really liking the Kindle. To find books you want, much cheaper than the paper copies, and get them instantly is just awesome. Seriously loving this device.

What has been your experience with the audio read option? The voice does correctly pause upon reaching a comma in the text, but it fails to recognize roman numerals, formal name titles, and doesn't pause between the chapter titles and text. I only use it when I'm on a stair climber or something like that. I have to say that the audio ability dramatically improves when you buy an "audiobook" on the kindle. I'm currently reading God & Man at Yale, the third party who reads the book is definitely an improvement over the computer created voice that you would normally get if one were to turn on the audio feature to a "regular" book on the kindle.

SFG75, I have used the text-to-voice to test it out, and was suitably impressed I must admit. Though I've not used it extensively enough at the moment to really pass major judgement. I definitely don't see it competing with regular audiobooks just yet, but you'd think with xml formating of text, they could fix those issues with pauses/numerals relatively easily. I think they're not pushing on that aspect too much right now as they don't want to fight the audio component battle just yet I think, whilst still trying to get the Kindle format more successfully of the ground.

Has anyone else found it "weird" to hold an actual book after using the kindle?:whistling:

Has anyone else found it "weird" to hold an actual book after using the kindle?:whistling:
This question pertains to our future generations.

Did you know that some kids do not know how to take out ice from ice cube trays?

I have noticed that since using the kindle, I prefer to use it over "real" books. I also believe that I read more, or have read more than I have in the past.

I have noticed that since using the kindle, I prefer to use it over "real" books. I also believe that I read more, or have read more than I have in the past.

Were you a heavy user of the public library? I'd like to talk to that person...I'm still holding out since I get so many free books via interlibrary loan.

Not so much any more. When you can buy a 10 volume set on your kindle for .99, that is just too compelling. The complete works of Jonathan Edwards are too big?, big my kindle!

Were you a heavy user of the public library? I'd like to talk to that person...I'm still holding out since I get so many free books via interlibrary loan.

I'm a heavy library user. I am now also a Kindle owner. My library usage has dropped off significantly at the moment but I can't attribute that to just my Kindle. Our library is under renovation, and the new location is far from convenient for me. I've only been in 4 times since it moved (Mar 1).

I read in different places than I used to because of my Kindle. It is far more portable than a hardcover book, so it lives in my purse when I go out.

I read in different places than I used to because of my Kindle. It is far more portable than a hardcover book, so it lives in my purse when I go out.

Same here except it goes in my messenger bag or backpack when I am out and about. I read it on the bus and while waiting for whatever while I am out. Although lately the Kindle has taken the back seat to Angry Birds Rio. Why can't I kill that monkey!?!??!!??!

Back