• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

One Fourteenth of an Elephant

Geenh

Wow! What a book! Written by Ian Denys Peek.

It's about his tale as a POW building the Burma-Thailand railroad. Fitting to have finished it today as it is ANZAC Day here.

Has anyone else read this? If so, what did you think?

I thought it amazing that he could make me laugh when describing such a harrowing experience. His ability to tell his (and his brother's) story and not wallow in self-pity is amazing! I recommend this book to people who care to read about such things (I keep getting told that the stuff I read about is too morbid).

Thanks. G

Geenh said:
Wow! What a book! Written by Ian Denys Peek.

It's about his tale as a POW building the Burma-Thailand railroad. Fitting to have finished it today as it is ANZAC Day here.

Has anyone else read this? If so, what did you think?

I thought it amazing that he could make me laugh when describing such a harrowing experience. His ability to tell his (and his brother's) story and not wallow in self-pity is amazing! I recommend this book to people who care to read about such things (I keep getting told that the stuff I read about is too morbid).

Thanks. G

Sounds interesting, i'll check it out

Cabrasopa :cool:

I had never heard of this book before until I read your post.

The title of the book caught my attention. The book does sound interesting.

Why the strange title, Geenh? Whats the title got to do with the book?

Well, at one point when they were building part of the railroad, they had elephants helping. The elephsnts got spooked once and it took 14 men to do the job of one elephant hence each man was "one 14th of an Elephant". Cool, huh?

Geenh said:
Well, at one point when they were building part of the railroad, they had elephants helping. The elephsnts got spooked once and it took 14 men to do the job of one elephant hence each man was "one 14th of an Elephant". Cool, huh?
Yeah, the title is really catchy.
And after reading your post, the book also sounds interesting.
I dont know whether I will be able to get this book in my library. I doubt it. Let me give it a try.
Thanks Geenh.

Sanyuja - I found it at a used book shop so maybe you'll have luck at the library. The guy who wrote it s English, although he seems to have been raised quite globally (lucky man!). Let me know if you can find it or not. I may be able to help.

Thank you so much Geenh.
I will try at the local library first. Since the author is English, I should be able to find the book at the British Library.
I will let you know if I don't find it.
Thanks once again :)

Back