• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

one of my fav film.

I liked this movie, because i was left with many mixed feelings. I felt proud because a woman can be so beautiful like Malena, while at the same time i felt hatrid to those wicked women who were very mean to her. Those men who took advantage of her were nothing but disgusting. and yes, i had lots of sympathy to Malena, and admiration as well.

What is your fav movie? which one you would like to recommend? :)

Have a good weekend, everyone. :)

a kinda silly question. a man in black (once he carried a strange looking child) appeared when the Jesus was being scourged, who was that man? Satan?

watercrystal said:
a man in black (once he carried a strange looking child) appeared when the Jesus was being scourged, who was that man? Satan?

That was a woman. It was a talking down from Mel Gibson. Yes it was Satan who only appeared when Christ had the option of going against his faith - as a temptation.

straw dogs was pretty incredible. if you like dark films, it's quintessential. it's easy to find here, though it's banned in the UK, so it might be banned in canada too. just find it, somehow ...

bobbyburns said:
straw dogs was pretty incredible. if you like dark films, it's quintessential.

I think Gaspar Noe's Irreversible is an even more essential movie - haunting, unforgettable, disturbing.

it's banned in the UK, so it might be banned in canada too. just find it, somehow ...

It's no longer banned in the UK - it was finally certified a couple of years ago along with a huge bunch of other 'video nasties' such as Cannibal Holocaust, Driller Killer, and Last House on the Left.

I think I Spit On Your Grave is still banned.

I really like gaspar noe, but irreversible's only redeeming value is shock value, which, even at its best, isn't as ruthless and unsavory as ruggero deodato's jungle holocaust ... but sam peckinpah, on the other hand, was, and still is, I think, the most nihilistic filmmaker, ever.

its hard to pick a favorite
it would be easier by genres
but i guess a few come to mind
enemy at the gates
best of enemies
the empire strikes back
casablanca
cruel intentions
leon
amen

you can notice some of them are about war, but im not a war movies fan, im just into the wwII

watercrystal said:
Anyone has seen this film, Malena

i wanted to see that movie, but forgot about it after awhile. i'll put it on my movies to watch list.

i dont have one favorite movie. there are too many to name

bobbyburns said:
irreversible's only redeeming value is shock value

I'm going to disagree here. To me it was a character study of how the two guys react to the incident - notably the mentality of Pierre, from fire extinguisher wielding maniac to all round great guy in reverse order.

Hard to recommend just one movie when you don't know what people like, but I like Charade as a universal recommendation. It has a little bit of everything. Martin won't like it, it's pre-1980. Still feels fresh, though.

bobbyburns said:
straw dogs was pretty incredible. if you like dark films, it's quintessential. it's easy to find here, though it's banned in the UK, so it might be banned in canada too. just find it, somehow ...

Thanks. :)

Found this :
aimages.amazon.com_images_P_B000087EYE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Abulafia said:
I think my favourite movie is either Last Year in Marienbad or The Fountainhead.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Found this:
THE FOUNTAINHEAD:

Summary: The house was a temple to his wife ...

This overheated potboiler attempts to make a social comment on the corrupt nature of conforming to the wishes of the masses, when its most interesting aspect these days is the teaming on screen (and off) of gruff-voiced Patricia Neal and her self-confessed 'love of her life', Gary Cooper. Their love scenes together are certainly not lukewarm!

Aside from this, there's a convoluted plot about architecture, the newspaper business, and the understated power of the humble columnist. Raymond Massey moves from one situation to the next with the same lack of passion, eventually giving Cooper and Neal their chance to simmer in close proximity. Robert Douglas is terrific as the obnoxious architectural critic, Ellsworth Toohey; while Kent Smith and Henry Hull put in OK performances as a weak architect of little originality, and a nervous press room editor, respectively.

The ones who catch the eye of the viewer, however, are Neal and Cooper. Towering performances in camp classic style. The imagery, too, is suitably suggestive – drills in a stone quarry, large skyscraping buildings, whips and pokers.

'The Fountainhead', adapted by Ayn Rand from her own novel and brought to the screen under the direction of King Vidor, is enjoyable despite the odd bout of overacting from both its principal and minor actors, and a truly silly script on occasion. The movie isn't great but in using the world in which it is set as a character of equivalent power to anyone on the screen, it sets itself apart as more than just run-of-the-mill. amazon

AND LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD:

REVIEW

Ashlea said:
Hard to recommend just one movie when you don't know what people like, but I like Charade as a universal recommendation. It has a little bit of everything. Martin won't like it, it's pre-1980. Still feels fresh, though.

Thank you, Ashlea. :)

Found this:

Regina is about to divorce her husband when she finds that he has been murdered after converting every penny they owned to cash, which is also missing. She meets Cary Grant who changes his name every 15 min. or so and is interested in her husband's money, which seems to have come from a WWII payroll he stole. His partners in crime are also very interested in where the money is, as he stole it from them as well. Everyone assumes Regina MUST know where the money is. The situation becomes more tense when the searchers begin turning up dead.

amazon

mr_michel said:
its hard to pick a favorite
it would be easier by genres
but i guess a few come to mind
enemy at the gates
best of enemies
the empire strikes back
casablanca
cruel intentions
leon
amen

you can notice some of them are about war, but im not a war movies fan, im just into the wwII

enemy at the gates
best of enemies
the empire strikes back
cruel intentions
amen
---------yes, will check these.

casablanca
leon
-----have seen these two. my favorit as well.

as for the WWII, i like the movie, The LOngest day. not sure this is the translation or original title. it was about the attack of Nomandi.--spelling?

Thanks for recommendatioin. :)

ah, "enemy at the gates", have seen this one as well. yah, good choice.

Martin won't like it, it's pre-1980. Still feels fresh, though.
You're probably right.

My favourite film:

The Shawshank Redemption. Undisputed number one.

And battling for the second position: Donnie Darko and Fight Club.

Cheers

Back