• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Other books like this

Anything? I guess the general topic would be severe issolation until someone goes mad. I know it sounds strange, but it's something I'm interested in.

Hmm, that's a tough one. If you're interested in descents into madness the only thing coming to mind at the moment is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, i dont know if it has anything to do with isolation though. I haven't read it yet myself, but a couple of my friends have and they liked it. Sorry i couldnt be more helpful.

Stephen King's The Shinning is symbolic of alcoholism- the madness of alcoholism. Knowing that may narrow down the search for similiar books.

awww.filmsite.org_posters_shin2.jpg

None come to mind, but do a search for terms like "cabin fever". There are also various "readalike" sites (in the vein of 'if you liked A you'll like B'). I can't think of any right now, but google the term read alike and you'll find a few. A lot of library websites provide this service.

Let us know if you find anything interesting!

Finally! Responses!

I did a quick Google search a few days ago, but the majority of the links lead to the movie "Cabin Fever" or books about cabins. However, I'll look into those "readalike" sites.

I realize that Kings The Shining is primarily about alcoholism. So I guess I'm more interested in Kubricks The Shining. They both have pretty big differences, and I don't really think Kubrick's main subject was alcohol. If you dig around, you'll find some amazing theories/explanations. I've studdied his film for years now and have become fascinated with it. But I'm just rambling here off-topic. Thanks for the help, and I'll post my results.

That's a tough one... here are a few suggestions:

Misery or Gerald's Game, also by Stephen King

I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb is much more of a touchy-feely book, but it is really good. It is a story about twin brothers, one of whom is schizophrenic. It details his descent into isolation and madness very well, and he nearly drives the sane brother insane in the process.

Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West also explores someone going mad due to isolation, at the end of the book.

Also- have you seen Insomnia, the movie with Al Pacino? Pacino goes to Alaska and basically goes insane from sleep deprivation. I didn't like it that much, but it does tie in nicely with your theme. I also heard it was based on a much better foreign-language film, so that may be worth checking out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm glad this thread didn't get burried. I've never heard of Geralds Game, but I've seen Misery(one of my favorites). And if memory serves, isn't Robin Williams in Insomnia? If I'm thinking of the same movie as you are, I've seen it. Wasn't all that fond of it either. In my personal opinion, Pacino is past his prime. But this is besides the point.

Is "I Know This Much is True" for like, 10 year olds when you say "touchy-feely"?

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Hell House by Richard Matheson

The Manor by Scott Nicholson

Haunted by Kensington

Ghost Story by Peter Straub

The Hour Before Dark by Douglas Clegg

House of Bones by Dale Bailey

Is "I Know This Much is True" for like, 10 year olds when you say "touchy-feely"?

No... LOL... it's not for 10-year olds. I just mean it is much more sensitive than the others I recommended, and it made me cry in a couple of places. It is definitely an adult book, though.

And that is the movie I was thinking of, with Robin Williams and Pacino. I agree, it was pretty crap, but I did a bit of research and here is the original Swedish film, which is supposed to be much better; good luck finding it!

P.S. If you haven't read Misery, you should. As usual, the book is much better than the film, although the film is excellent and they followed the original story very well. It does give you more insight into Kathy Bates' character, though.

I only saw CLIPS of Misery and it scared me to death. :eek:

Movies about insane people are a lot scarier than ghosts and vampires. Because maybe ghosts and vampires don't exist, but insane people undoubtedly do exist.

Back